Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

... now they must watch their abundance of luxuries fall away, making room for the tools of survival, and witness this time of relative peace wither into the same fears that harper's ballads had warned them about for generations.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A tiny surprise [Tags: Idylari]

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Eloaene

Eloaene

A tiny surprise [Tags: Idylari] Empty
PostSubject: A tiny surprise [Tags: Idylari]   A tiny surprise [Tags: Idylari] I_icon32Fri May 29, 2015 11:03 pm

Ever since the rescue of firelizard clutches at Ista, Z'rim had been keeping tabs on who was allowed to make requests for Firelizard eggs and who was receiving them. That same day had been the day that he had confessed to Indylari and she, likewise, had professed at least some remote feelings for him. For that reason, he'd planned on getting his hands on one of the firelizard eggs to gift to her, as a token of his adoration for her. There were many things that a man could give a woman he loved, but few men could ever claim to have given the object of their affection something as rare as a firelizard. He was hoping that the rarity of that gift would be noticed by her and fully appreciated.

Z'rim had managed to offer a few bribes in trade for getting his hands on an egg, and so a few days later, keeping it carefully packed in warm sands, he was ready to pay Indylari a visit. He'd finally come up with an individual container that fulfilled its functional purpose and happened to be decorative enough to give as a gift. It was perfect.

With sand packed inside of the box, Z'rim had carefully placed the egg so that it was almost completely covered, its shell barely visible at the center. The lid was carved and painted brightly and a glossy string tied tightly about the package to secure it. The entire package then, he folded into a basket, which was then filled with lovely early autumn flowers, the color of which were reminiscent of the season. A large, almost oversized ribbon was tied into a bow at the side of the basket, complementing the color of the flowers.

When the Bronzerider felt that his gift was ready, he suited himself up semi-casual and headed out the door to stop by Indylari's residence.

On the way, his anticipation of giving her the gift, knowing it would be a complete surprise to her, Z'rim could feel Nemesenth's curiosity build inside of him. He could tell that the dragon wanted to know why he was limning with excitement, but had decided not to ask, but wait and see. He could tell that Z'rim was up to something; and since it had to do with a curious creature like the firelizard, Nemesenth was intrigued.

Arriving in front of Idylari's place, the Bronzerider stood a couple paces back from the door, clearing his throat and eventually loosened the shirt collar about his neck. Sure, he was feeling confident right about that time, but Indylari was still technically his best friend's fiance, and it would only complicate matters if the other Bronzerider showed up right then to find out that Z'rim was presenting her with unnecessary gifts. Not that Z'rim would back down from S'jiro at that time, but it was certainly unwanted confrontation -at least today.

Glancing about himself to make sure S'jiro wasn't about, Z'rim stepped up to Indy's door and gave a knock.

Alright, Nem, here goes nothing. Grant me luck.
Back to top Go down
https://rainoffire.rpg-board.net
Caoimhe

Caoimhe

PostSubject: Re: A tiny surprise [Tags: Idylari]   A tiny surprise [Tags: Idylari] I_icon32Sun May 31, 2015 7:47 am

Since her failure to Impress, Indylari had been finding it harder and harder to come up with excuses to push back her wedding. She knew S'jiro was growing more and more impatient and with that knowledge found it harder to say nothing about what Z'rim had suggested to her during the relief effort at Ista.

There was a lot of change in her life at the moment. Dropping out of Candidacy to focus on her position as Headwoman's Assistant had been a difficult decision. She could not go back to living as a lady because of coming to the weyr and the stigma that went with that life. Her marriage to S'jiro was supposed to protect her from wagging tongues but the more time she was at the Weyr, the less she cared about those things.

Maybe it wasn't just that the things around her were changing. Maybe she was changing too. Where she would have once been all to happy to marry a man she had no feelings for, now she found it to be almost intrusive to expect such a thing. Since coming to the Weyr though, she had been shown that not everything she thought should happen would happen. Things did not always progress the way she thought they should. Over time and experience she began to want and value different things.

Was it so horrible to want happiness?

Indylari set down the parchment she was reading about food stores. She would have a report for the Headwoman in the morning. The supplies they sent to Ista for the disaster relief and what they sent on to Igen to help the growing numbers there were all supposed to be on the list but it seemed to her some things were still unaccounted for.

At the knock on her door, her body jumped. She wasn't expecting anyone. The knock didn't sound like S'jiro's but she wouldn't put it past him to call on her. Smoothing her work dress, she figured it wouldn't matter much if she looked a little tired, especially if it were S'jiro.

When she opened the door and saw Z'rim, her heart rose in her chest. They didn't get to spend much time together without S'jiro present. "Hello." She said, not noticing that he had a gift just yet as her eyes seemed plastered on his face. "I'm so glad you've stopped by. Won't you come in?"

She opened the door widely to allow him to look inside. There were two chairs next to a small table for them to sit if he wished to. Her room was not very large. At least not in comparison to a dragon weyr. The only other option for seating was her bed.
Back to top Go down
Eloaene

Eloaene

PostSubject: Re: A tiny surprise [Tags: Idylari]   A tiny surprise [Tags: Idylari] I_icon32Sun May 31, 2015 8:56 pm

Seeing Indylari at the door made Z'rim glad that he'd picked this time to come. S'jiro, he knew, was busy with other things, and rarely visited, so he and Indylari would have at least at least a short time to themselves.

Sweeping in the room behind her when she offered to let him in, Z'rim was still grinning like a fool. He wasn't really sure how to give his gift to her but.. he supposed any way would do. The gift itself was special enough, especially since she hadn't impressed a hatchling on the sands before. Maybe a firelizard would make up for it some.

When the door was closed behind them, the Bronzerider lifted the somewhat hefty package he came bearing, holding out the handle of the basket to her, the masses of flowers he'd procured already in beautiful bloom. They still partially hid the greater gift underneath, inside the box.

"I brought you a little something. It's not much, but I thought you'd enjoy it."

Glancing toward the table, he gestured, "We can take a look, at the table, if you want."
Back to top Go down
Caoimhe

Caoimhe

PostSubject: Re: A tiny surprise [Tags: Idylari]   A tiny surprise [Tags: Idylari] I_icon32Sun May 31, 2015 9:54 pm

The moment he lifted his gift toward her, her face lit up. How long had it been since she had seen such beautiful flowers. The autumn colors of oranges and reds were perfect for the season. She didn't know how Z'rim knew she would like them. Maybe he knew her better than either of them realized. "Oh wow, they are so lovely Z'rim."  She didn't notice immediately there was something more to it because of admiring the flowers. When she took the handle though, she could tell there was something making the gift heavier.

Taking his advice, she moved the basket to the table. Whatever else was in the basket she knew she would enjoy having. She trusted Z'rim's taste because he seemed to know what she might want. Standing next to the table, she lifted the box out from the surrounding flowers wondering what might be inside. She paused before her well manicured hands deftly opened the box to reveal a firelizard egg.

Her eyes widened. It couldn't be! They only had a few they were giving to those at the Weyr. They were rare. So rare that getting ones hands on any of them was difficult. She didn't know what to say at first, simply gawking at her gift. "A firelizard, for me?"

Words were not coming to her all that well, so she set the box down gently and turned her attention to the bearer of the gift. She didn't waste time thinking about how to show him she loved her gift. The usually reserved woman, wrapped her arms around the Bronzerider in an exuberant hug. "I love it! Oh thank you, thank you, thank you!" She said her voice excited.

Immediately after her outburst she let go and took a step back. Her face was a little flushed and she tucked a strand of hair behind her ear where it had escaped once more. She was a little embarrassed for allowing her emotions to get the better of her. She should have accepted the gift as a lady and not been quite so animated. However she was so excited and it was hard not to show him how wonderful his gift was. No one else would have thought of her for one.
Back to top Go down
Eloaene

Eloaene

PostSubject: Re: A tiny surprise [Tags: Idylari]   A tiny surprise [Tags: Idylari] I_icon32Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:10 pm

A tiny surprise [Tags: Idylari] Zrim_zps550a983f

The Bronzerider's heart swelled in his chest when Indylari opened the box to reveal the little egg. It was a delightful little thing, and he couldn't help but smile at her reaction to receiving it. 

Equally surprised by her hug as she had been by gift he'd presented, Z'rim was unprepared to return the gesture, and refrained from really doing so because he was afraid of what else might happen if he did. When she released her arms from around him, he felt as though his heart  might melt. He wanted to hold her in his arms and kiss her in that moment. When she smiled and became genuinely exuberant like this, she was incredibly beautiful. As though the sun could shine through her to bring him happiness. 

Z'rim was quite aware that the way in which she lived at present was the source of her happy spirit being stifled. He could see underneath the surface of her. He could tell that what she really needed in her life was genuine, unadulterated love from someone who could cherish her the way she should have always been. So, while most people could only see the Indylari on the surface: a struggling girl who appeared at times unpleasant and disdainful, Z'rim saw a girl who needed to be set free of the life that was smothering her. He was bound and determined to be the one to save her.

When Indylari was done raving her appreciation over the egg and had stepped back from him, the Bronzerider was still grinning, but this time able to feel his body turn warm. Honestly, even though he was normally a very confident person, with Indy like this now, he was feeling a little bashful.

"I was told that the eggs should be hatching soon, so you'll want to keep a close eye on it and continue to rotate it periodically like a Dragon would."
Back to top Go down
Caoimhe

Caoimhe

PostSubject: Re: A tiny surprise [Tags: Idylari]   A tiny surprise [Tags: Idylari] I_icon32Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:58 pm

What little doubt she might have had before was slipping away as Z’rim stood there grinning at her reaction. He truly wanted to have a relationship with her. Indylari felt as though her heart might burst from her chest she was so full of adoration not only for the gift but the man who had given it to her. As he gave her instructions on the firelizard egg, she nodded. Thinking it would make sense to do so.

“Keep the egg warm and rotated.” She repeated. Knowing she would remember regardless but repeating instructions because that was what she had always done. The young woman was still in awe of the gift and took to rummaging her things searching for something to keep it in near the warm hearth. The perks of being the daughter of those with money was that her place of residence had a hearth and nice furnishings, even if the room was small in comparison to a dragon’s weyr.

Finding a large basket, she filled it with fabric swatches her mother had sent her for new dresses to be made. Setting the egg in the basket, she set it close but not too close to the fire. “There. I think it will do nicely.” She felt a little foolish, grinning back at the Bronzerider.

She had a few thoughts on her mind, things she wanted to know about him but she didn’t ask them. Indy instead asked about the firelizard because she honestly knew next to nothing about them. Like most people on Pern she had never seen one before. They were rarely caught Hatching and that was when a person would need to bond to them. “What should I do when it hatches?”
Back to top Go down
Eloaene

Eloaene

PostSubject: Re: A tiny surprise [Tags: Idylari]   A tiny surprise [Tags: Idylari] I_icon32Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:50 pm

Z'rim watched her mull about with excitement in her eyes and every movement, preparing a perfect spot for the precious egg. She could use the basket and box he'd brought it in, or her own. He didn't mind whatever suited her. 

Z'rim's mouth formed a lopsided smirk when Indy vocally approved the setup she'd arranged for the little egg, and when she looked at him, he probably felt equally as foolish as she did in that moment. His smile brightened a little, glad to see her smiling back at him. The temptation to close the distance between them and draw her into his arms and kiss her was present, just as when she hugged him earlier, but he refrained from doing anything of the sort, which would have been probably very inappropriate at this point. He didn't want to overstep his bounds too early in the progression of what was going to happen between the two of them. He was still in contact with his parents about the possibility of them intervening on his behalf, where Indy and S'jiro's engagement was concerned. 

"Since it should hatch fairly soon, try to keep at least a few cuts of meat around handy -small, bite size pieces. As soon as it hatches you'll need to be able to hand feed it until his belly is full. Just, when his belly barely starts bulging slow down and don't let him eat much more. They'll eat until they get sick when they're born, if they're anything like baby dragons. So don't let him fool you if he acts hungry still. He'll live."

Z'rim's smile grew until the laughter in it reached into his eyes.

"You'll likely feel the baby's mental presence in your consciousness, as well. Just like a dragon, so all that you learned about that in the candidates training, I'd suspect you could apply to firelizards, too."
Back to top Go down
Caoimhe

Caoimhe

PostSubject: Re: A tiny surprise [Tags: Idylari]   A tiny surprise [Tags: Idylari] I_icon32Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:22 pm

Z'rim was a gentlemen. Where other women might find his lack of physical contact to be a negative, she was actually kind of comforted that he was willing to take things more slowly. Despite being at the Weyr now and wanting to fit in here, she had problems with intimacy. Some things were not going to magically go away just because of where she lived, even if a few moments ago she had acted impulsively. That wasn’t her nature, at least that part of her nature was not allowed out to play.

Nodding at the Bronzerider’s words. “Right, that makes sense. Oh I’m so excited! I’m going to have to think of a good name for it too.” She knew the odds were in favor of it being a male but she didn’t want to call it a him till she knew for sure. She’d make certain she had the necessary things for the firelizard though. And she could train it to help her with errands for the Headwoman. She was thinking of a million things at once, so her thought process was scattered. “I’ll remember that. We don’t want it to be a glutton.”

“I wonder what it will be like to sense a firelizard like one would a dragon? I know they are supposed to be similar but they really haven’t bonded to many people. I wonder if the knowledge we have on dragons can all actually be applied to them or if they are different?” She was not a scholar but she did like to hypothesize and think about the what -ifs of life.

She saw that he was happy to see her happy. Indylari could almost hug him again. “Do you have any name ideas?”
Back to top Go down
Eloaene

Eloaene

PostSubject: Re: A tiny surprise [Tags: Idylari]   A tiny surprise [Tags: Idylari] I_icon32Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:17 pm

Indy's intimacy troubles couldn't have anything to do with WHO she was supposed to be being intimate with, could it? [>D  lol. sorry, I had to go there.] Either way, whether Indy was comfortable being intimate at this point in time with anyone, he didn't think it a negative thing in her, either. He knew her background and understood her reservations, as well as the circumstances she was being put to right now with S'jiro and her parents and all.

Z'rim's grin broadened knowingly at the girl's commentary on the topic at hand then. Every little baby dragon, small or large, liked to be a little glutton. It was something that they all seemed to be notorious for. But, he figured there wasn't as much to worry about with a firelizard. He didn't assume the presence of their personalities would be quite as strong in a human's mind, and so it shouldn't affect Indy quite as much when the baby was hungry, so it might all be a little easier to control. 

Then again, he couldn't really be sure. Maybe they should see about hitting up some archives on the subject to see what else there was to dredge up on it.

"I'm not sure. You'll just have to be one of the first to find out and let me know when it happens. I'll find out what else I can about them, unless you have more access to archives and a little time maybe to do some research on your own. 

The Bronzerider wasn't really sure how to answer her next question. He'd done a lot of thinking about firelizards over the last few days since these had been discovered, but none of those thoughts had led him to conjuring up names. 

Hmm. He'd have to dwell on that for a little maybe. "I guess I haven't thought about names yet."  Then again, he also wasn't impressing one. He paused to think on it.
Back to top Go down
Caoimhe

Caoimhe

PostSubject: Re: A tiny surprise [Tags: Idylari]   A tiny surprise [Tags: Idylari] I_icon32Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:53 pm

Indy supposed she did have access if the Headwoman allowed her the time to go through and look. She might be able to find some information out. She would actually probably enjoy doing a little research. Especially as she wasn't exactly fond of winging things, preferring instead to be prepared. She was sure that Z'rim understood this about her.

As he said that, it hit her again how special and unique a gift this was. There were very few people who were being given firelizards. She would indeed have to keep her own record on how the little one acted once it hatched.

She should have been a little more cautious on the subject. Surely S'jiro would be unhappy enough at the idea of another man giving her a gift like this. He would be equally so if not more to know she included Z'rim in naming it. But she felt like it was theirs, together, not just hers. Thinking like that would certainly have repercussions later, for now though it was nice to think of it that way.

"We could come up with some together..." She didn't want to be pushy but it was clear that she wanted his input as well as her own. Indylari wasn't sure how he'd respond to that. Or if that would be coming on too strongly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A tiny surprise [Tags: Idylari]   A tiny surprise [Tags: Idylari] I_icon32

Back to top Go down

A tiny surprise [Tags: Idylari]
Page 1 of 1