Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

... now they must watch their abundance of luxuries fall away, making room for the tools of survival, and witness this time of relative peace wither into the same fears that harper's ballads had warned them about for generations.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Caught in the cross-hairs

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
NPC

Caught in the cross-hairs Empty
PostSubject: Caught in the cross-hairs   Caught in the cross-hairs I_icon32Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:07 pm

As Weyrling classes were dismissed to make their way to the hall for mid day meal, whispers spread quickly through the corridors; whispers involving the name of Lancielle. Instead of taking their usual seats to dine, there was a crowd gathered around one spot against a far wall, where the whispers seemed to be floating up from. Periodically, cautious gazes peered up between quiet conversations, as if they were afraid Lance might come into the midst of them and hear.

Unless one moved closer and parted some of the crowd it was going to be somewhat difficult to read all of the message however, there had been several words scrawled in what appeared to be blood, across the surface there. They read: "Lance is target. Rumours aren't always false. There are other reasons Lance is Grounded. She miscarried twice, and shares enough riders' beds she doesn't know the who either father was."

The words themselves weren't necessarily incriminating as far as who put them there, but surely Lance would know who she could fairly suspect. After all, being marked a 'target' of such bullying tactics could only come as directed from one of two riders in the Weyr. Yet.. neither Sh'nar nor S'jiro were present in the Hall. Their 'designated' table would be empty likely until the Weyrlings had nearly finished with their own meals. The two always arrived fashionably late to dine, and never sat with others. Of course, now that Lance was a 'target' of their tactics to pay her back in kind, other Weyrlings were sure to avoid her all the more, not willing to get caught in the cross-hairs.
Back to top Go down
Vivid

Vivid

PostSubject: Re: Caught in the cross-hairs   Caught in the cross-hairs I_icon32Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:56 pm

Caught in the cross-hairs Bryce-dallas-howard-GreenWeyrling_zps1a5a5718

Rue didn't know what was going on at first and being on the short in, she has to push her way to the front. She bit her bottom lip, trying to slid between folks without jostling them too much. She caught gasps and half whispers as she moved to a clear view. What she saw made her gasp, her hands flying to cover her mouth.

What is it, my darling? Zoth asked gently, a crooning reverberating through their bond. Rue shook her hand and turned away, shouldering her way from from the wretched seen.

[[Someone wrote such horrible things about Lance. Such horrible things. Oh Zoth, how could they. How could anyone do such a nasty thing?]] Rue found herself shaking with the effort of keeping her mouth shut. She searched for something, anything, to use to clean up the mess but almost as if by cruel fate, she was coming up short.

'Where is a brush? Water? I'll scrub that stuff off myself if no one else will!' she thought, her fingers flexing in vexation. Had Lance seen that yet?

It is trite to say 'humans can be cruel' but, my darling, it is not untrue. Raidenth, my beloved sib, where and how is your rider?

[[Oh, that is a good question Zoth. Where is Lance and has she seen this garbage?]] Rue asked, spotting a water bucket in the corner. She walked toward it briskly but found it empty. There were more people around the scrawling words now. Was that really blood?

We shall have our answer presently, I imagine, my sweetling.Zoth said, a note of concern entering her otherwise smooth voice. Rue turned back to the look at the gathering people and chewed at the end of one thumbnail.

'How could they?' she thought.

Last edited by Vivid on Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Caoimhe

Caoimhe

PostSubject: Re: Caught in the cross-hairs   Caught in the cross-hairs I_icon32Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:29 pm

Caught in the cross-hairs Lancelleheader5_zps3947e372

As she entered the Dining Hall for her mid-day meal with her friends, she could feel the stares. Her demeanor did not change, she was determined to ignore the whispers as she walked by. Head held high, she walked by the people who parted the way for her to walk toward the wall of interest. She walked by Ruelane, determined not to be deterred no matter what the message said. Everyone around the wall had quietly and quickly dispersed. There was after all one rumor about her that was completely true, Lance had a temper. I tried to stop her Zoth, but she won’t listen. I told her it was unpleasant.

At first she didn’t know what to think. Her face paled. Being Hold-bred it was hard to think of herself as being a whore. Then she thought about it a moment, the color slowly coming back to her face as she remembered to breath. She wasn’t going to make a scene here. After all the culprits were nowhere to be found, even if Sh’nar wasn’t directly involved his lackey, S’jiro was. With the Dining Hall silent except for whispers, Lancelle found the strength to move away from the wall.

“Leave it up.” She said, as she walked over to Ruelane. “I know who is behind this and they are going to get what is coming to them.” Her next sentence she said loud enough for everyone there to hear. “The rest of these deadglows can believe what they like.” Despite having a rough around the edges attitude, Lance was actually fairly sensitive emotionally. She did well to hide the hurt in public.

“Want to take our lunch to the Lake? Raidenth would love to spend some time with Zoth.” Really, Lance just wanted to get out of the Dining Hall. As soon as physically possible before she lost her cool and went off on all the idiots that were spreading the vicious lies that were written on the wall. Grabbing a couple rolls, Raidenth's voice interrupted her. Zoth’s is nice, she will understand. You should talk to her. The green was reassuring her rider. The last couple sevendays had been difficult for Lance. Somehow Graduation was pushing every single problem she had to the forefront of her life.

Back to top Go down
Vivid

Vivid

PostSubject: Re: Caught in the cross-hairs   Caught in the cross-hairs I_icon32Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:07 am

Caught in the cross-hairs Bryce-dallas-howard-GreenWeyrling_zps1a5a5718

Rue could only nod, her esteem for Lance increasing dramatically. She was so strong; it was like nothing could touch her. Rue grabbed a basket of meat rolls off the table and a jug of red fruit juice. A mug followed and she fell into Lance's wake easily. She was glad to leave the buzz in the dinning hall behind. She opened her mouth and then closed it; if Lance wanted to talk about it she would. Rue was never the kind of girl to want to pry.

They are like a force of nature, our riders. Sometimes as peaceful as a solitary pond or wild as a hurricane. Sometimes hotter than the sun or as cold as the snow at midwinter. It is their way, to be changeable. You could no more stop the tide from rushing out, dear Raidenth.

Rue stuffed a meat roll in her mouth, savoring the sage and wherry, and walking quietly behind and to the side of her classmate. She was sure she was the youngest in her class now, though often times she felt even younger than seventeen turns.

"These are delicious." she finally said. "I love fresh herbs, don't you?"
Back to top Go down
Caoimhe

Caoimhe

PostSubject: Re: Caught in the cross-hairs   Caught in the cross-hairs I_icon32Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:29 pm

Caught in the cross-hairs Lancelleheader5_zps3947e372

Lancelle took refuge in the other young woman’s presence. Ruelane was easy to get along with and always seemed to think the best of people. Finally in a good spot to sit down, Lance plopped onto the ground which was never as lady-like as some of the smaller women seemed to manage. She was too tall to sit down nicely.

“Yeah, I’m afraid I’ve lost some of my appetite.” She said having taken one bite out of a roll and decided she wasn’t hungry. “I’m just glad to be out of there. S’jiro is such an asshole. He’s behind this and if he is behind it then so is his puppeteer, Sh’nar.” Not that Belisse would ever believe that.

“You remember how I punched Sh’nar in the jaw the other day, well this is how they get back at people.” Fucking cowards! “I hope they aren’t messing with Tasha too.” She could imagine taking things just as badly if not worse than she did. It was incredibly annoying to know that S’jiro would get away with this because somehow he was never the actual culprit and that Belisse would never believe Sh’nar was involved.

Raidenth addressed Zoth, The healer said she has a strong will. And don’t I know it?! She is stubborn and never listens. The green was actually amused by this and not upset by it. She loved Lancelle unconditionally just as Lancelle loved her. Raidenth landed at the Lake nearby. Careful. Lance admonished gently. [color=#7D9917]No one was in danger, don’t be such a hide bound wherry brain.[/color
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Caught in the cross-hairs   Caught in the cross-hairs I_icon32

Back to top Go down

Caught in the cross-hairs
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Weyrs :: Fort Weyr :: Gather Hall-
Jump to: