Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

... now they must watch their abundance of luxuries fall away, making room for the tools of survival, and witness this time of relative peace wither into the same fears that harper's ballads had warned them about for generations.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Roain Smithcrafter/Overlord of the Many Cotholds/Waterhole

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Nemmy

Roain Smithcrafter/Overlord of the Many Cotholds/Waterhole Empty
PostSubject: Roain Smithcrafter/Overlord of the Many Cotholds/Waterhole   Roain Smithcrafter/Overlord of the Many Cotholds/Waterhole I_icon32Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:36 pm

:: OOC Information ::
Moniker:
Nemmy
How did you hear about us?:
JQ loves me to death

:: Character Information ::
Name:
Roain

Pronunciation:
Roh-ayy-n

Title:
Journeyman Smithcrafter, Leader of the free people of Keroon, Overlord, Leader of Waterhole, etc...

Age/ Turn of Birth:
35 - 466 AL Mid-Winter

Place of Birth:
Keroon

Place of Residence:
Cotholds/Waterhole in Keroon

Craft:
Smithcraft - focus in ironworking and weaponsmithing

Occupation/ Role:
Weaponsmith, Overlord, Leader

Character Aspirations:
To usurp those with power who neglect their people.
To keep his remaining children safe.
To feed his people.

Family:
Father: Journeyman Beastcrafter Rosorĵn (b.446, d.480)
Mother: Morawain (b.452, d.466)
Siblings: Moran (b. 467, D. ?), Sorvajn (b. 470, D. 479)
Children: Roaisi [Row-ay-see] (b.486, d.), Ädessain [Ä-deh-say-n] (b.487, d.), Addyin (b.488, d.496), Siaeyn (b.490, d.498), Roynsi (b.493, d.500)
Other Significant: Wife Adynaessi (b. 467, d.500)

Appearance:
Roain Smithcrafter/Overlord of the Many Cotholds/Waterhole Tumblr_ng0sh2wHLI1sbxfdpo1_500

Face: Travis Fimmel
Hair: Dirty Blonde which is shaved completely bald at the sides and woven into an intricate braided Mohawk and ponytail wrapped with leather strips at the back. It is common to see him sporting a beard.
Eyes: Ice Blue ones that pierce into a man's soul. The beginnings of crow's feet light at the edges of his eyes.
Height: 6'2"
Build: Strong and Muscular built up from years working the forges and hammers.
Other Notable Physical Traits: Several scars line his back, chest, shoulders, and arms: some are from fighting, others from being lashed, and a few are burns from work. He tends to look scruffy and war-hardened. On one shaved side of his face, behind his ear, he has lines tattooed into his head resembling a screaming bird as a "mark of disobedience" to the hold. He, and several others have come to recognize it as a mark of the strength of his will.
Style of Dress: When working at the smiths, and let's face it, at home, he often wears a thick leather jerkin over a roughspun tunic, with some pants and leather boots that cover the bottom of his pants and hit near his knees. Having access to the weaponsmiths gave him access as well to armor and furs. In battle the man prefers hide armor with bits of chain mail woven into it for better speed.
Possessions usually found on person: A necklace with beading that has the names of his wife and each child lost to him. An ax that he carefully crafted, he plans on passing it onto his son someday.

History:
They say that on the night of Roain's birth, his mother died from the cold. They say that her death passed on the ice to Roain's eyes, that who so ever crossed him would freeze and die the death of his mother, his wife, his children. She may have been dead for a few minutes or an hour before Rosorĵn found his wife in the snow and cut the child from her womb. He took the baby in, despite his sorrow, found a wet nurse, and raised the boy.

Roain was hardly and easy child to raise, he had anger issues and stared off into the world as if he could see things others couldn't, and they were poor, able to feed and clothe themselves but could do much less beyond that. Rosorĵn worked as a beast crafter and minor farmer to feed themselves at their cot hold, and the only thing that kept Roain from causing trouble was working the child till he was exhausted.

It was probably by fate that he found a calling with the smithcraft. Right after he traveled to the main hold to begin an apprenticeship, his father took another wife. The food on the table was hardly enough for his older brother, father, step-mother, and baby brother. So Roain distanced himself from his family, throwing himself and all the energy and aggression he had always harbored into his training. His smithing theory included the belief that to make tools and weapons properly, one needed to know how to use them.

He spent the better part of his turns as an apprentice not only learning the core of the craft, but also practicing how to fight. Knowing one day he'd be sent to walk the tables, the young man saved every mark he could, until one day he met a beautiful, strong woman: Adynaessi.

The woman hated him at first, but Roain was ever persistent. Eventually she grew to like and even love him. They were only just 18 and 19 when Adynaessi grew pregnant, lacking the funds for a proper big wedding, they drew together a few close friends and family and officiated it under a large oak tree.

Roain boasted that he was going to have a son to pass off his life to, but his first child was a girl named Roaisi to honor her parents' names, and Roain loved her dearly. He grew more agitated, then, that he had not yet walked the tables and worked tirelessly to provide for the small family. As soon as he walked, the small family and their new addition of a son moved out of the main castle and back down to a small village of minor Cotholds that needed a smith. While Roain's heart lie in weaponsmithing, he often served as a general metalsmith for the village.

It wasn't until 496 that the lack of marks in his family became truly relevant. His third child woke one morning complaining of an ache in his abdomen, followed quickly by fever. Unable to pay for a healer to help their sick child, Roain watched in horror as Addyin was consumed by pain and died three days later. The younger two children couldn't understand what happened to their brother. And the family was left disheartened and broken.

Two turns later firehead swept through their small village because of poor sanitation, claiming the lives of five people, along with Roain's fourth child Siaeyn. Angered at the lack of leadership in his community, Roain's tantrum encompassed creating a new well with cleaner water, and a better latrine system for not only his community, but several other villages around them. Within the turn, the villages came to respect Roain and his leadership skills, making him the unofficial ruler of their people. Then they had a bad winter, crops were failing, people were having issues getting enough nutrition in their systems from just fish. Roain wrote to the holder of Waterhole hold that they were beholden to and told him of the predicament, but the hall told them they still had a duty to tithe.

Roain threw the reply letter into the latrine he helped build. When people questioned him on the hold's reply, he - grim faced and countenance of ice - told them that any hold unwilling to meet the needs of its people was not fit to rule the people at all and that he and his family would never tithe to them again.

At the beginning of 500 AL, the holders came to teach him a lesson. Roain and his eldest two children were on a boat fishing, while his wife and seven turn old daughter were watching by the shore. The scene stood idyllic for a while, a typical family doing typical things... until the Lord of their minor hold showed up with his henchmen and brutally murdered Roain's wife and youngest.

When he got to shore, they lashed and tattooed him in front of the community to "show their power." This was their final mistake. Within two turns, Roain had convinced the people to rise up against their oppressors, had a plan, and convinced the hold guard to join their side (many of them had issues with the holder's disregard for his people). Now Roain finds himself and his children suddenly thrust into a position of power at Waterhole Hold...

His siblings and father may know of what he has done, but if so they haven't shown interest in him since he left to study the Smithcraft. Now his son follows him with blind faith and admiration - only just beginning his rebellious stage - and his daughter, while supportive of their endeavors, fears losing some of the freedoms they once had.

Personality:
Roain is a complicated individual. He has always had a warrior mentality, with traits like aggression and a predatory watchfulness manifesting themselves when he was still but a child. What was good about them was that he threw himself into the work given to him with all the energy and force that that anger and aggression had. His watchfulness translated into a quick and passionate study, proving his worth with ease and necessity.

He is stern and ambitious (though he doesn't know it) finding that anything worth having, is worth fighting for. This bullheadedness also translates into extreme perseverance. His life of hardships has led him to be frosty at best to people who have held positions of power, who have never known starvation or hard work.

But then there are the people that know him for more than the exterior. Inside the man of ice, one can see that he deeply cares for his family and his community. He believes in justice and revenge for those wronged. Through the events in the past several turns, he has shown a surprising knack for leadership, and even though he is harsh at times, his family truly loves him.

Shortcomings:

• Aggressive - especially when he hasn't had something to do for a while, he can be easily angered.
  • Bullheaded -  He is stubborn and willful, and rarely listens to anyone else when he has his mind set on something. While this tends to be a good thing in most people, paired with his aggression it can get ugly quick.
  • Wary of "Authority" - People in positions of power have wronged his family, his people, and himself enough to make him dislike authority figures even if they've done nothing to deserve his hatred.

Mannerisms/ Habits:
Tends to sneak off for solitary hunts. He watches things with a (to some people) sinister smirk. He questions the actions of those that think themselves higher than others. 

Skills/ Likes:
(List at least two things that your character is good at or enjoys. Leave a little insight as to why they possess such an affinity on each listing. These could be hobbies or skills from their trade, some activity they engaged in with siblings growing up, etc. Their history can sometimes help attribute to this list.)
[Skill/Metalsmithing]: (specifically weapon smithing) - discovering that the time and effort put into his craft tends to calm him down and drown his aggression, he takes pride in his work.
[Skill/Combat]: (specifically with axes) - He believed that to make a weapon, you needed to know how to use it as well. Much of his time during training for weapon smithing was spent actually training for combat.
[Like/Family Time]: Well with the family he has left - his son and daughter mean everything to him now, not one to waste time away from them, he has them apprenticed under him.

Unskilled at/ Dislikes:
[Dislike/Unearned Authority]: Every time Roain's come across a leader that was given a title because they were born to it, he has been met with incompetence.
[Dislike/Roaisi Organizing His Workshop]: He has things in a specific place for a specific purpose (although it may actually be Ädessain who moves every thing).
[Unskilled at/Pottery+Other forms of art not included in weapon smithing]: He just... doesn't have a good hand for fine arts. His hands are far too rough and poised for his trade than for things just meant to be looked at and thought about. His art is tactile, carvings and etchings in a blade or hilt. It can be beautiful, but it must be felt.

Fighting Style/ Weapon of Choice: His weapon of choice is an ax, but he's relatively skilled with a sword. He also works well with people, training them in battle using shield wall tactics.

:: Crafter Information ::
Craft:
Smith craft - metal smith

Turns in Craft:
~23 turns

Senior Journeyman

Location of Journeymanship:
Keroon - Waterhole Hold and beholden cotholds

Specialization:
Metalsmith/Weapons (and apparently engineering if you count the well and latrine)

:: Distinguished Persons' Information ::
Character Views on Thread:
He's unsure of its existance, but is resigned to the fact that if it does exist, then he needs the help of the riders.

Character Views on Hold/ Weyr Relationships:
He thinks they should be maintained as best as possible. If the hold has the means to tithe, they should, but if they don't and people are starving, the weyr has other people that can tithe to them.

Experience in Hold Management:
Just the leader of a few small villages for a few turns. This will be tough for him.

Last edited by Nemmy on Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.dragonsriseau.com/
Eloaene

Eloaene

PostSubject: Re: Roain Smithcrafter/Overlord of the Many Cotholds/Waterhole   Roain Smithcrafter/Overlord of the Many Cotholds/Waterhole I_icon32Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:28 pm

History:

So, in 500, they do some rabble rousing and eventually prepare themselves to rise up against the minor holder there at Waterhole Hold. So.. Was it that same turn, or maybe in turn 501 that he took control of Waterhole, ousting all the Holder's men? 

I'd like to know a little bit more.. maybe a paragraph or two about his time as Holder since then. Any challenges he's faced, etc. Maybe something we can tie into the DV's want to meet with him. Something with a growing dislike of the Keroon Lord Holder maybe.. or.. something else along those lines. Maybe he's feeling bolder and feels like taking on bigger fish so to speak? 

I'm curious as to how his family's taken to all of this? Do they tend to want him in that position? I see them as pretty supportive of one another, but did they really want to be holders? They're used to being poor cotholders? So are they now trying to do more good for the hold and surrounding area that is beholden to them, causing him to change some rules? 

Lemme know a little more insight into his time as holder.

Also, please add a Holder section for him. That will help in filling out his perceptions and give me a better idea of the kind of holder he is, his attitude toward Izayan (keroon holder) etc.  Bc he still has to answer to the Lord of the territory even if he doesn't like him. Unless that is, he is rebelling, and refuses to answer to Izayan. Though Izayan won't have minded him taking Waterhole Hold as long as he's not causing other trouble.but as soon as Roain tramples on Iza's right to govern Keroon, he won't like that as much haha. 

Maybe that becomes a big deal and we can plot with that.. like.. Iza sending envoys to talk to Roain bc he's witholding tithes to give back to the people or something. Or maybe other holders somewhat nearby are nervous because of Roain, and Roain's boldness is causing their ppl to think they can rise up, too. Maybe false rumours about the uprisings going around.. about not having to tithe anymore, etc etc. 

Anyway, that's all i can think of for now.
Back to top Go down
https://rainoffire.rpg-board.net
Nemmy

PostSubject: Re: Roain Smithcrafter/Overlord of the Many Cotholds/Waterhole   Roain Smithcrafter/Overlord of the Many Cotholds/Waterhole I_icon32Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:07 pm

I made the edits Smile
Back to top Go down
Eloaene

Eloaene

PostSubject: Re: Roain Smithcrafter/Overlord of the Many Cotholds/Waterhole   Roain Smithcrafter/Overlord of the Many Cotholds/Waterhole I_icon32Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:22 pm

awesome Smile let's let Kate or Jess do a final critique of him then and see if they have anything else to add.
Back to top Go down
sylverangel

sylverangel

PostSubject: Re: Roain Smithcrafter/Overlord of the Many Cotholds/Waterhole   Roain Smithcrafter/Overlord of the Many Cotholds/Waterhole I_icon32Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:47 pm

In general, he looks pretty good!  Smile  Some things made me think, though, so here they are!

Though my memory is faulty, I thought firehead was a specific illness, not something that could be caused just by poor sanitization.  Is there evidence somewhere that it can be in Todd's books (I haven't read those)?  Jaxom is the one I recall having it, and it was after a special trip he made, I thought.  I need to go dig up my copy of The White Dragon, I suppose.  Otherwise, an illness going through the nearby cotholds makes sense.

Why is it that Roain's father is so poor in the beginning?  Why is Roain himself so poor when he first starts his own family?  Since Pern deals more with trading than with real money, why wouldn't other people with enough food trade that for his weapons and metalworks?  Do they, themselves, not have enough food, so he does a lot for free?  What about making some weapons in his free time and selling them at a gather at the minor hold, or at Keroon?  Is it because of the minor holder tithing them too much?  Does the minor holder demand goods that he, himself, can then export to other places?  (Just to give more credit to the 'Hey, I overthrew a jerk/ tyrant for you people, I didn't just rebel because the minor holder was lazy and I didn't want to tithe.")

The only other thing I can think of is are there some people left who are loyal to the minor holder he overthrew?  Did he kill everyone, including the holder's family?  And if not, who did he spare, and are they loyal to him?  Did they run away?  Did he really just run everyone off, not kill any of them?  What about the guards who weren't willing to turn against the minor holder, though they're less important.  Are you leaving leeway for someone else to come in and try to overthrow Roain, and claim the minor hold back, or is it his for the time being, unless the higher-ups say something about it?
Back to top Go down
Nemmy

PostSubject: Re: Roain Smithcrafter/Overlord of the Many Cotholds/Waterhole   Roain Smithcrafter/Overlord of the Many Cotholds/Waterhole I_icon32Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:59 pm

You know... I haven't really thought of the money issue more than just "plot/history stuff?" Something to give him a reason to fight for what he believes in. I'm going to go with a really terribly holder who didn't really care about the lands he owned or the people who live in them.

It's one of the things that Roain is going to have to work through in regards to fixing the economic problems associated with his new holding.

When it comes to the firehead, I was just really trying to put a name to some sickness... it could be anything caused by poor sanitation. He does what he can with his craft to help his community, even if it means not getting anything out of it besides a healthier environment for his family. This is one of the reasons his father didn't have a lot of money, and why he basically came out of his apprenticeship with little to his own name.

And I'm not sure about the previous holder's family... I need to plot that with JQ when we're not busy.

I hope that answers everything @Sylverangel
Back to top Go down
Caoimhe

Caoimhe

PostSubject: Re: Roain Smithcrafter/Overlord of the Many Cotholds/Waterhole   Roain Smithcrafter/Overlord of the Many Cotholds/Waterhole I_icon32Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:32 pm

Okay, so I know Eloaene is working out plot stuff with you. Otherwise I see no reason not to approve of him.

So approved....unless Eloaene has anything to add for now?
Back to top Go down
Eloaene

Eloaene

PostSubject: Re: Roain Smithcrafter/Overlord of the Many Cotholds/Waterhole   Roain Smithcrafter/Overlord of the Many Cotholds/Waterhole I_icon32Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:17 pm

We'll get other plotty stuff done outside of his profile Smile approved!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Roain Smithcrafter/Overlord of the Many Cotholds/Waterhole   Roain Smithcrafter/Overlord of the Many Cotholds/Waterhole I_icon32

Back to top Go down

Roain Smithcrafter/Overlord of the Many Cotholds/Waterhole
Page 1 of 1