Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

... now they must watch their abundance of luxuries fall away, making room for the tools of survival, and witness this time of relative peace wither into the same fears that harper's ballads had warned them about for generations.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A Long Overdue Return

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Trouble

Trouble

A Long Overdue Return Empty
PostSubject: A Long Overdue Return   A Long Overdue Return I_icon32Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:00 pm

Andris had a skip in his step as he waved goodbye to the blue dragon who had conveyed him the relatively short distance between the Harper Hall and Fort Weyr. What was in reality a small gap felt like the other side of the continent when one's duties took precedence to life.

He'd been gone from the Weyr for months, dragged into voting for a new Master Harper. It had gone on for much longer than anyone would have expected. Andris couldn't have cared less. He'd only wanted to escape back to Fort and his family.

Chances were the watch dragon had informed her of the arrival from the Harper Hall, but Andris still had hopes he would surprise his dear Karene with his reappearance. He'd gotten home as soon as the decision was made, not even waiting for the congratulatory banquet. It was bad form, but he had a new child to welcome.

And there she was, head bent as she worked on some charts or another. The harper had a huge smile on his face when he knocked on the plate next to Karene's office, leaning against the frame. "Weyrwoman," he said, trying for gravity despite the smile and desire to grab her in his arms, "Weyrharper Andris returning to duty."
Back to top Go down
Caoimhe

Caoimhe

PostSubject: Re: A Long Overdue Return   A Long Overdue Return I_icon32Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:25 pm

Karene of course had heard Andris would be returning but she had not really known the exact moment he would arrive. She decided to catch up on a few things before he arrived so that she would have some time to spend with him. Her bed rest had been made more difficult by his absence but now that their son was born, it seemed everything was being set right again.

The woman had more to deal with now than she wanted to think about. Setting herself to focusing on one thing at a time and relying on Belisse to help where she might not have before her health had declined. Now that she was better she was aware of her Junior's abilities, strengths and weaknesses. It was Karene's job to let the other woman know what she did well and what she needed work on.

That meeting though would have to wait till she had some other things done. Of all the meetings she was going to have, there was only one meeting she was truly anxious to have. Being that she was a Senior Weyrwoman, she fully understood why Andris had to leave for the short amount of time he was gone, even if it felt like eons. She couldn't account for her anger then, when he greeted her from the doorway. At first it might seem that she had not heard him.

She had worked many turns to control that part of her. For a long time, the mercurial moods of her younger Turns had been hiding beneath the cool determination above. He had left when she most needed his support. This was something she could concede. However, he didn't know she would need him. His job was no less important than hers. Her understanding was what kept her from flying off the handle. Karene was determined to make this a happy homecoming for him. Later they could discuss further their relationship and how his absence affected her. Although she was sure the Harper knew well she might be displeased at his long leave. Perhaps that was why he stood in her doorway instead of instantly embracing her.

Lifting her head to see him, Karene returned his smile, "Welcome home, Weyrharper." Her light blue eyes gazed into his for a moment before standing and walking toward him. She didn't wait for an invitation because if he didn't want to be with her anymore he would have said so before coming to see her. Her arms wrapped around him and as she hugged him to her she breathed in the smell of him, "I've missed you."
Back to top Go down
Trouble

Trouble

PostSubject: Re: A Long Overdue Return   A Long Overdue Return I_icon32Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:46 pm

He met her halfway, sweeping her up in his arms and spinning her around. "I missed you as well," he murmured, tangling his fingers in her hair. She smelled of lavender and dragon, and he took a deep breathe. He'd missed that smell so much.

Pulling back just enough to see her face, he smiled and ran his thumb down her cheek. "I'm sorry I was gone for so long," he said softly. "And that I missed so much." The birth of their son, not to mention her being confined. "It killed me to be stuck at the Hall when you needed me here." He wished he could promise that it would never happen again, but his rank required him to return to the Hall at various times. Usually not this long, though.

"How are you feeling?" he prompted her, fingers still entangled in her hair as if they'd never let go. "Letters are a poor substitute for seeing you with my own eyes."
Back to top Go down
Caoimhe

Caoimhe

PostSubject: Re: A Long Overdue Return   A Long Overdue Return I_icon32Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:29 pm

She reveled in the feel of his arms around her. Finally he was there. Karene may have been through more than her share of relationships but she had never felt this way about anyone before. She never particularly cared whether she was in a relationship or not before but now she couldn't imagine not being in one. She didn't know if he understood the depth of her meaning but she did truly feel the loss of his presence more than she thought she would.

"I know. It was difficult for both of us." She nuzzled her head into his shoulder, "What matters is you are back now." Everything felt that much better, more in order, exactly as it should be when he was around. Even if they didn't see eachother as often as either of them would like when they were both at the Weyr.

"Better. I grow stronger every day and Karendris is very healthy. A lot of worry for nothing as I tried to tell you. The Healers simply thought if left to my own devices I would over do it again." And considering she had worked herself into a state where she passed out in exhaustion they may have had a point.

"Do you want to see him?" She didn't care if they woke him but she didn't want to put off the meeting. Considering this child looked very much like his father. "He has your hair already..."
Back to top Go down
Trouble

Trouble

PostSubject: Re: A Long Overdue Return   A Long Overdue Return I_icon32Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:25 pm

He gave a gentle smile at her words. He knew well enough what had happened in his absence... he had nearly walked back to the Weyr, council be dammed. "I know," he said, "you're stronger than any woman I've ever met. They were fools to underestimate you."

He'd been more terrified than he'd ever been in his life, desperate to get back to her and their unborn child. But the past couldn't be changed, only the future made better. In a moment of sheer joy at just having her back in his arms he swept her off her feet, pressing his lips against her's tenderly.

"I thought you'd never ask," he responded, his eyes lighting up even more. His son... their son.
Back to top Go down
Caoimhe

Caoimhe

PostSubject: Re: A Long Overdue Return   A Long Overdue Return I_icon32Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:22 pm

A Long Overdue Return F1654f66-af66-477a-9326-ddac02b98011_zpsfbf77eea

She smiled, he was probably imaging her being caged in this area of months on end. It had been difficult. She wasn't going to lie. However now that her son was born and she was back to her usual freedoms, she had been thinking it might have been for the best. She had had a chance to test Belisse before she moved to Igen Weyr.

Her arms reached around his neck as he lifted her. She'd missed this, missed everything about him. If she had been any other woman in the world, she could marry him and live with him. She was a Weyrwoman though and she had a duty to the Weyr which precluded her from taking him as a Weyrmate. It was probably one of her biggest regrets when it came to her relationship with him. Her mouth searched his for a moment as his lips found hers. Kissing, was another something she had forgone.

"He might be waking soon anyway." She said, although there was a clear sign of slight irritation in her voice. She loved their son. But he made the order of her life complete chaos. "He doesn't believe in schedules..." He might be hungry and wake up or he might decide not to be hungry for several candlemarks and be hungry when she finally went to sleep.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Long Overdue Return   A Long Overdue Return I_icon32

Back to top Go down

A Long Overdue Return
Page 1 of 1