Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

... now they must watch their abundance of luxuries fall away, making room for the tools of survival, and witness this time of relative peace wither into the same fears that harper's ballads had warned them about for generations.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What to wear? A dilemma...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
NPC

What to wear? A dilemma... Empty
PostSubject: What to wear? A dilemma...   What to wear? A dilemma... I_icon32Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:00 pm

A parcel has been delivered from a dashing young Holder in the region of Nerat. He stands as a fine prospective suitor to any Lady, but fancies the hand of Eolyn.

The gift is wrapped in fancy paper and string is somewhat large and has been placed upon the foot of Eolyn's bed for her to open when she returns from Hawking. A tag has been attached to the top of it, written in the young Holder's own hand and then sealed with his personal wax stamp.

If the Lady were to open the note, she should find heart-felt sentiments written to her there.

(Character response to opening the note and opening the package will prompt a revealing of what is written inside the letter and what is wrapped within the paper by NPC account.)
Back to top Go down
Eloaene

Eloaene

PostSubject: Re: What to wear? A dilemma...   What to wear? A dilemma... I_icon32Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:36 pm

What to wear? A dilemma... Bess4
Giggling as she made her way down the corridor to the room shared with Eolyn, Courisse was the first to sweep through the door.

"Which of the Holds attended today's congregation of leadership? Don't you think it a little unexpected for them to meet like this at Fort Weyr? I would like to visit the Weyr, too, one day. How exciting would that be?! I think I would be afraid of the dragons, though!" The Lady's tone dropped a bit, becoming more suggestive that their business must include something secretive!
"I wonder what their meeting must be about?"

Courisse stopped in her tracks before she could go on, dress hems rustling about her ankles as she caught sight of the package at the foot of her Lady's bed. "Oh!"
With great delight, the young woman's steps hurried across the room to inspect the decorative paper. Eager hands turned the note attached to it over front to back, vaguely recognizing the seal as that of a Nerat Minor Holder.

"My Lady! You've a gift!" For a moment, Courisse pondered to herself, canting her head aside while cerulean eyes set in a new direction, thoughtfully deciding which Minor Hold this particular Holder must be from.
With voice lifting in a note of discovery, she chimed, "If this stamp belongs to who I think it is, this lad's a handsome catch if looks are what you're going for! I think I've seen him!"

The excitement was more than evident in glittery blue orbs as her attention turned to Eolyn.

Last edited by Eloaene on Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://rainoffire.rpg-board.net
Caoimhe

Caoimhe

PostSubject: Re: What to wear? A dilemma...   What to wear? A dilemma... I_icon32Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:00 pm

Eolyn knew her father had not mentioned a thing about the meeting. She was used to being left out of the loop as far as her father and his politics were concerned. Courisse certainly had a point though, why were they going to the Weyr? Her father had made certain she was kept as far away from the rider that had come to pick him and her mother up for the meeting as he possibly could. As if she needed protection from a dragonrider! She knew her duty and it was sad that her father would not trust her. Then again, maybe he was more concerned about one of his children being Searched. They had put so much into making her a lady worthy of an entire Hold. Convincing her that her parents trusted her she walked on listening to the excitement in Courisse’s voice.

Smiling, she thought about maybe attending a Weyr event, like a Hatching or the Games. “I’m sure dragons are just as wonderfully strange up close as they are from afar. Father would not even allow me in the same wing as the rider who came to pick him up. Think if he brought us to the Weyr what would happen. We’d probably be locked in a room and not be able to enjoy anything. Maybe once we are married…” She thought then shrugged. The Weyr seemed like an interesting place but she was patient enough to wait till she was invited and could say yes. “It could be anything. Although to have an event at the Weyr must mean it concerns the Weyrs. Maybe they are requiring more Candidates or something?” It was a sad little suggestion; there was no way it was something as simple as that. Her father would likely not be telling her about it later but perhaps mother would.

When Courisse rushed to her rooms, she glided after her. Her small feet never seemed to completely touch the floor when she walked. “Oh my. Who do you think it’s from?” And before she even had the words fully out of her mouth, Courisse answered. Nerat, hmm, well the choice was not hers. He’d be better off sending gifts to her father but since it was for her, there was no harm in opening it! She giggled, “Who doesn’t care about looks?” She might be a bit naïve but the superficial side of her knew that beauty would get a girl a match faster than her intelligence. Better to be handsome too, to gain the attention of young women. For that reason she might actually not prefer a very handsome lord. Then again it did not do her any good to worry about it. Her father was very particular about the men who had already asked for her. He had to have declined ten so far at least. She’d rather not know actually, because she would rather be married already than living still with her parents. She was getting older and eventually she’d be too old to marry off easily.

She walked to her desk and took a letter opener out of the top drawer. Breaking the seal she read the contents.
Back to top Go down
NPC

PostSubject: Re: What to wear? A dilemma...   What to wear? A dilemma... I_icon32Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:44 pm

The wax cracks and breaks open, leaving a small parchment to unfold. Within it is a lovely yellow flower which has been neatly pressed to dry within.

The cursive script imparted this short but heart-felt sentiment to the Lady Eolyn:

"To the lovely Eolyn,

Though the flowers bloom sevenfold, eightfold, I lament, for a single fruit they do not bear. It is my greatest desire that I will one day be the one man reflected back in your eyes, and that my affections for you will not remain fruitless. So, until that day, I keep on loving you. With this gift, I hope that my love will begin to touch your heart and that I may present to you at the upcoming Igen Gather bouquets of flowers that, though splendorous, are made jealous by your own radiance.

I will know if you return my affections at all by your choice to wear what I have gifted to you. I will come to you then, gem of Igen.

Yours Truly,
Korvold, of Half Circle Sea Hold"
Back to top Go down
Eloaene

Eloaene

PostSubject: Re: What to wear? A dilemma...   What to wear? A dilemma... I_icon32Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:57 pm

What to wear? A dilemma... Bess9

As Eolyn broke the seal of the note, the curious blonde crowded over her Lady's shoulder to peer at the message written within. As she went on reading the poetic lines he'd wrote, Courisse muttered loud enough for Eolyn to hear, "Well that's a little over the top. But he really fancies you!"

Finally paying heed to the signature left, Courisse nearly choked, "Korvold!?" But stepping back to see what kind of reaction her Lady had, she couldn't seem to keep her thoughts to herself, "You'd think that as a future Holder, someone might think a little harder about what they ought to name their son. He is supposed to be easy on the eyes, though. And from Half Circle Sea Hold? That's a sizable holding if you ask me."

A smile forming with an expression half way between devious and delighted met Eolyn then, "What do you think, My Lady?"
And when she seemed to remember that there was still a package to open, the smile went wide as her excitement elevated again, "Oh! Oh! Open the package! It was something to wear, he said?"

Courisse peered on, curiously.
Back to top Go down
Caoimhe

Caoimhe

PostSubject: Re: What to wear? A dilemma...   What to wear? A dilemma... I_icon32Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:07 pm

What to wear? A dilemma... Eolynheader
With the seal broken, she proceeded to read the note within. As she read the fanciful words, she felt her cheeks warm and knew in that moment she was blushing. Eolyn was never privy to these notes as her father generally sent these things back to the men who wrote them before she even knew they existed. Eolyn tried to remember if she had ever met this mystery Holder. He certainly seemed to think she would know him and understand his desire to make her is wife but quite honestly, she did not remember him. It was embarrassing really. She knew very few of her suitors by name.

Lifting her uneasiness, Courisse began to talk. Laughing suddenly, she said, “Yes, it is over doing it a little.” Although it was very well written and she was a little excited by the note. Maybe now she would be able to meet one of her actual suitors so her father would not keep them so secret. At Courisse’s mention of the Hold, “Nerat is pretty large. But he isn’t the Lord Holder or his heir...” She trailed knowing what that would mean to her father. He wanted nothing but the best match for her. Sighing, she thought about how hopeless the whole situation was. What would it matter if she wore what was inside the package. It would have no effect on her father’s decision.

Courisse would have a better sense for this than she would because for some reason despite being raised quite similarly, Courisse was worldlier and had her laughing again at the man’s name. The poor Holder had no idea how amusing this situation was for them. “You are quite right cousin. We must open the gift. Perhaps his good taste will improve how look on him.” Gifts were rare when they were not from her parents. She wondered to herself what could be inside. Something to wear… a gown perhaps? Or a hat? The box was quickly under her small hands.

Taking great care she lifted the lid off of the box.
Back to top Go down
NPC

PostSubject: Re: What to wear? A dilemma...   What to wear? A dilemma... I_icon32Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:16 pm

As the string and paper were taken back and the lid of the box lifted a thin tissue paper enfolded the gift within. Once uncovered, at least fifteen yards of cloth were folded neatly within. The fabric was the colour of wild raspberries, woven of an expensive matte satin with floral patterns appearing in the same coulour but able to stand out by how the opposingly pearly gloss of their threads caught the light, showing a little gold shimmer within them. The floral pattern had been hand beaded and lengths of lace and ribbon, as well as matching feather plumes for a hat were sent to accompany it. A pair of slippers had also been included in the box, possibly a little big in size, but they were matching and had also been hand-beaded.
Back to top Go down
Eloaene

Eloaene

PostSubject: Re: What to wear? A dilemma...   What to wear? A dilemma... I_icon32Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:58 pm

Courisse's eyes grew a little wide, excitement extant. A soft sound of awe breathed through her lips, "Ooooh! Eolyn! How stunning! Do you think you'll wear it?"
She gasped in unfeigned delight, "It must have cost him a small fortune!"

While observing her cousin as she appreciated the gift, Courisse moved around to the side of the bed where she climbed up to sit upon it, curling one leg beneath her. Beginning to wonder to herself she finally piped up, but in a rather conspiratorial manner, "Don't you think it all just a little suspicious? Maybe your father put him up to this? Maybe it's his way of seeing if you approve of such a match? Ooooor do you think that a little too optimistic to consider he'd give you any kind of choice?"

Of course, it was just like Courisse to go trying to uncover the world's hidden motives and conspiracies. A single, elegant brow quirked over the possibility, herself believing that such a thing could just as well be true! And as long as she wanted to believe that something were possible, she was going to pretend that such was the case until proven otherwise -or until she got bored of the idea.
Back to top Go down
Caoimhe

Caoimhe

PostSubject: Re: What to wear? A dilemma...   What to wear? A dilemma... I_icon32Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:38 pm

As she pulled the garment out of the box she felt her breath get caught in her chest. Then entire outfit was gorgeous. She took a few moments to look over the exquisite gown before taking a look at the accessories. The beading was amazing. Her eyes had probably grown two sizes since opening the box. She really didn’t know what to say to Courisse at first. She was shocked that any man would have such good taste in clothing. Her father was quite helpless when it came to fashion. This man had excellent taste.

She did love clothing so her marriage would have to be to someone who was ready to spend a small fortune on her. “I don’t think I could keep it in my closet and not show it off! Would you like the shoes? They are much too big. Perhaps we can find similar colors for your gown and father will think we had both made at the same time…” Eolyn did not want him to know about where the lovely garment had come from. He would most definitely not approve.

“Father would never be able to plan this. He is much too busy trying to find a proper marriage for me and work with Zahir on Hold matters. Besides we both know he has no taste in clothes or men.” The men part was likely to be especially true. Sometimes she was a bit envious of Courisse. The other girl would be permitted to marry for love whereas Eolyn must marry for duty. A light sigh escaped her before she looked back at the lovely gifts surrounding her. She was touching the feather now, wondering what sort of hat she could wear with it. Too much wondering about this gift for one day, she would consider the hat more later. Maybe she could try a newer design, at the last Gather she had found a few of the newer fashions quite lovely.

An excitable moment took her, “I’m going to try it on!” She began to take her shoes off, followed by her riding gown. Eolyn was used to undressing before Courisse and was not at all ashamed of it. Her whole life she was being helped in and out of garments the small girl felt were too large to handle herself. “Will you help me into it?” After she would let Courisse have a try. They were not so different in size that they could not try on each other’s clothing.
Back to top Go down
Eloaene

Eloaene

PostSubject: Re: What to wear? A dilemma...   What to wear? A dilemma... I_icon32Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:56 pm

While Eolyn glowed over her gift, Courisse chewed her lower lip, retaining the same amount of giddiness over the whole thing. She jumped at the chance to try on the shoes when mentioned.

"Oh! May I? I would love to have a new dress for the gather! Maybe a little lighter in colour? But a similar style, I think! That one looks so pretty." With great delight, she reached for the shoes, cradling them into her hands as she used her toes slip her own slippers off her heels, letting them drop to the floor beneath where she sat upon Eolyn's bed. Fitting her feet into them with all haste, the girl beamed, flexing and pointing her toes in unison in order to appreciate the feel of the shoes and their design.

Glancing back up at her Lady, she slid from the bed when Eolyn decided to try on the dress. Taking the fine red dress into her arms, she waited for Eolyn to disrobe before assisting her in getting the new garment over her head.

"Uh! With all the beading, it's so heavy!" Her hands were busied lacing up the dress in the back, helping to situate the sleeves and then adjusted the fall of the dress in back and around her lady's feet. Stepping around to Eoyln's front, she was all grins.

"It's a little different than other styles I've seen lately. This must be how they dress in Nerat?" Her grin turned into a bemused smirk, quirking a curious brow. "But I have to admit, if you do wear it, every other girl will be envious." Courisse's smile was genuinely pleased again as she looked on, admiring the gown still. Momentarily though, she moved to hold the feathers up against Eolyn's hair at different angles, imagining what they might look like by themselves or in a new hat.
Back to top Go down
Caoimhe

Caoimhe

PostSubject: Re: What to wear? A dilemma...   What to wear? A dilemma... I_icon32Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:18 pm

“Of course! You know father will want us to be well dressed. I’m certain he will have a weaver coming to make us gowns before the Gather anyway. Now we can use the extra marks to make your gown more exquisite since we already have mine.” Giddy with delight as her cousin helped her into the dress she said, “Any color you would like fair cousin. Although as a rule we should both avoid yellow.” Being blonde and fair skinned meant that the color yellow did nothing for them and actually made their skin yellowy too.

The young woman was thrilled, when she finally had the gown on. Her admiration of the gift was reflected in her cousin’s eyes. “It is such a lovely color!” She said, delighted by the new gown. “Oh I like the idea of having a different style on than the other ladies. Don’t you think it will stand out more?” She loved to have outfits that other people gawked over. Eolyn was never so over the top that other people hated her look but she was one to push the envelope a little when it came to fashion. So she stood admiring the gown and the way it looked on her, imagining what people would be saying when they saw the gorgeous garment at the Gather. She took a breath, feeling the weight of the dress; it actually was a bit much for her small frame. One evening could not hurt though.

Smiling over at Courisse, “I hope so.” To be the envy of other women her station was always fun. According to her mother one should never outshine their host. As this Gather was going to be held at Igen she deserved to be the best looking eligible young woman there. “Rissi? Do you think I’ll ever be married?” She had doubts. Her father was picky and she was young but not as young as most Holder’s wanted their wives. She had small hips which some people deemed to be not good for birthing babies. She was nervous that perhaps she was going to be kept at Igen under her brother’s mercy for her entire life.

As soon as the words escaped her mouth there was a hard rapping on the door. Hiding the box quickly behind some of her gowns hanging in the closet, she called for the person who had knocked to enter, “Please come in.”

She almost wanted to take the words back as her father came in, looking rather serious. “Eolyn, Courisse I have some news from the meeting today.” He spoke evenly, allowing them to wonder what the news was a moment before breaking it to them. “There is really no other way to say this..” He thought this was going to be easier. She was not leaving today yet still he felt he was tearing out a piece of his heart having to lose her to a husband. He would miss the sweet, happy girl who never seemed to be down. She made the day so much easier just by being the obedient child she had been. He never had enjoyed losing his daughters. Perhaps some men saw only the advantage gained but all the Turns she had been raised and lived with him could not be ignored. He loved his child more than he really felt was acceptable to express. He was a Lord Holder, he should be able to say this without much emotion at all.

Her blue eyes peered up at him, wide with intrigue at his statements. Indeed, there was no easy way to tell her he was marrying her off for the unity of two territories without giving her a say one way or the other. He had done well though, she would see. Lord Rihan was young, well dressed, and well-mannered and had a stellar reputation. Besides he was going to be one of the wealthiest if not the wealthiest man on Pern once he married her. “Eolyn, you are formally engaged to Lord Rihan of Telgar River Hold, heir to Telgar Hold itself.” The closest Hold to them and perhaps it was not by accident he had intended for her to be that close. She could visit home more often. Still he waited for the information to sink in.

For her part, Eolyn saw that her father was struggling with a way to say what needed to be said, something Lord Qisbon had never had trouble with before. It took a while really for his words to sink in. She looked down at the red dress for a moment before managing a quiet smile and curtsey for her father, “I am engaged. Is this not a happy occasion father?” Then why did she feel like crying? She thought to herself, faking her joy long enough to make her father happy. Being engaged pleased her but there had been no courtship whatsoever and she had to admit she was terrified of being married to a complete stranger.

After her father had made his excuses to leave and said he would see them at dinner, she latched on to Courisse, hugging the other girl tightly. Tears sprang to her eyes though she did not sob. Quiet tears, they were. “I am happy and I am sad. I don’t know which emotion to feel more strongly right now.” She wanted to be married as she had admitted to earlier however, she was quite certain she had never seen nor talked to this Lord Rihan before. She had so much to be worried about, she was more sad than happy for the moment. “I’ll feel better once I meet him. I’m sure I will.” She said to her cousin, letting her go and then drying her eyes with a small cloth she kept on her night table. “Rihan is a nice sounding name.” She admitted. Now she could imagine where her life was going to go and again, this would be more of a bittersweet feeling. This was truly the end of her childhood .
Back to top Go down
Eloaene

Eloaene

PostSubject: Re: What to wear? A dilemma...   What to wear? A dilemma... I_icon32Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:56 am

Smiles extant as Eoyln went on approvingly about the new gown, Courisse listened to her cousin agreeably about a dress she herself might decide to wear.

When her cousin asked about marriage, the same thoughts began working their way through her own mind...what if they were both getting too old to be married off appropriately; but she didn't want to seem pessimistic about such a thing at such a time to Eolyn. After all, there was a gather coming up and a handsome Holder had just sent her Lady a very fine gift to express his adoration of her! Barely having finished the thoughts in her head, let alone wondered more aloud, the knock at the door almost startled her.

Seeing Lord Qisbon at the door was a little surprising to her just then, but she curtsied and bowed her head appropriately.

“Eolyn, Courisse I have some news from the meeting today.”

What would a meeting have to do with them? See! She knew a sudden meeting like today's was rather curious. She'd been right all along!

“Eolyn, you are formally engaged to Lord Rihan of Telgar River Hold, heir to Telgar Hold itself.”

Well....that wasn't the news she was expecting. For a moment, her expression drew a bit dumbfounded. Digesting the Lord's words a bit more, she tucked her chin to her chest a bit, not able to help the little smile that forged itself there. And here they had just been wondering if Eoylyn would ever marry!

Courisse listened carefully to her cousin's voice, trying to gage how she might feel about the whole turn of events, and then, just before Lord Qisbon left them, she offered another curtsy, excusing them from his presence. In a supportive manner, Courisse had her arms around Eolyn's shoulders in an embrace she hoped her cousin would find comforting. Although, she didn't feel that she was being of much help, because as soon as Eolyn started crying, she could feel herself crying, too. For a moment, she choked on the tears, trying to suppress them; the sudden fear that she was going to lose Eolyn and never see her again sprang into her mind, so she hugged her cousin more tightly.

No, no. She couldn't let herself become all worried like this for nothing. They didn't know just how things would turn out yet. She had to try to be positive for her Lady's sake. "But Eolyn, he's a Lord Holder, you should be happy! And not just any Lord Holder, he's going to be the Lord of all Telgar. You're going to be the most well-to-do Lady on all of Pern. There is no better match to have hoped for."

She smiled then, wiping her own tears as she took a step back from Eolyn. "You're right. It is a nice sounding name. It sounds...kind of gentle, don't you think? I don't think I've ever seen him or met him, but I wonder if that's what he's like?" At that moment, she wondered why she hadn't heard more about him. Maybe he was just the quiet type so gossip never really got around about him? Courisse dug through her memories of all the Holder gossip she could, trying to pin point any further details.

After a moment's pause, she perked with an idea, "Oh, Eolyn, why don't you write to him? Maybe he'll come and see you. Ohhh! Oh! I wonder if he'll be at the gather coming up!? Surely he wouldn't miss it! It's a gather for his future in-laws! Your parents are bound to invite him!" An expression of mischievous nature came over her just then, "I bet he'd think that your new red dress is stunning."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What to wear? A dilemma...   What to wear? A dilemma... I_icon32

Back to top Go down

What to wear? A dilemma...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Holds :: Igen Hold :: Private Quarters-
Jump to: