Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

... now they must watch their abundance of luxuries fall away, making room for the tools of survival, and witness this time of relative peace wither into the same fears that harper's ballads had warned them about for generations.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Children Will Listen (Tags: Emerene)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Caoimhe

Caoimhe

Children Will Listen (Tags: Emerene) Empty
PostSubject: Children Will Listen (Tags: Emerene)   Children Will Listen (Tags: Emerene) I_icon32Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:02 pm

Children Will Listen (Tags: Emerene) Kareneheader3_zpse5726ffe

Karene had made a most unusual request today. The Headwoman was almost in shock, almost. She might have laughed but the Weyrwoman was completely serious. "My lady are you certain they are ready? They can continue to live in the Candidate Barracks a while yet."

"I never mention things without purpose. Bear that in mind while you inform my children to come to me. The sooner the better." Karene was sitting in the comfortable chair she had had to buy in order to sit up and work. One hand was holding parchments with reports on it and the other was resting on her bump.

She looked just as she always did when she was pregnant, it was inside that she was unwell. Her light eyes were piercing against the rosiness that had come to her pale cheeks. She practically glowed now. Despite having to take things easier and how rocky this pregnancy had been, she felt completely at ease today. It would be a good day to speak with Emerene and Thanekar.

Her hair was braided in one long plait down her back. She wore a comfortable but beautiful pale blue gown, with silver and gold threading. As Weyrwoman she could afford the best of the best. When it came to her clothing, she preferred to spend the extra marks on better quality clothes and furnishings. On her neck was a silver necklace with a stone as light blue as the gown she was wearing in a teardrop shape.

One could almost envision a tiara there but she wore nothing on her red hair. It mattered little who she was meeting, she always looked her best. The sun had been up for a few candlemarks now, so surely her two children would not be that hard to track down. Galadrieth's tail was twitching in her sleep, while she sunned on the ledge. Their weyr always caught the morning light.

Children Will Listen (Tags: Emerene) Thanekar_zpsbbf1824b

Thanekar was found fairly easily by the Headwoman's staff as he was actually where he was supposed to be for once. Lessons. He was actually glad for the get out of class free card. Smirking, he got up out of his chair and waved. His mother was requesting to see him. That could be a good thing.

What if it wasn't? If she was holding him back another Turn he was going to sneak onto the Sands. It was only after a moment of reflecting that he realized the drudge had spoken something more to him.

"Candidate, you cannot go to the Senior Weyrwoman dressed like you just rolled out of bed. Go freshen up, please." She was almost pleading. Dear, she must had the job of making certain he was presentable to go before his mother. As if she cared how he looked. When had she ever taken much interest in his life? Until recently.

"To save your hide, I will freshen up." He said calmly. Thanekar's mother had a reputation which was unforgiving. Actually he was quite proud to be her son, somehow despite being neglected, hearing how tyrannical his mother could be brought a smile to his lips. He knew very little about her other than rumors. Maybe she would pass on some advice for his Candidacy?

Maybe she just wanted to see him before her latest and hopefully last child was born. She had always come to him, he had never had to go to her weyr before.

He took out one of his two nice button down shirts, put a white tee-shirt underneath, he kept the top three or four buttons unbuttoned. It was a dark blue color, he had a pair of khaki pants, casual but not too much so. He wanted to look nice but this was no Gather or Celebration, at least not that he was aware of.

Thanekar began the trek to his mother's weyr from the Candidate Barracks only to run into Emerene on the way. "Heya Emie. I'm going to see Mother. Where are you headed?" If she said to their mother's weyr, he was going to think the worst.
Back to top Go down
Eloaene

Eloaene

PostSubject: Re: Children Will Listen (Tags: Emerene)   Children Will Listen (Tags: Emerene) I_icon32Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:52 am

Children Will Listen (Tags: Emerene) 3642c8f3-803b-4f59-9812-e391800131f9_zpsde30b4c3

While Emerene was as displeased as her brother about getting pulled out of class, she always dressed presentable, even if it was casual clothing she wore. She wasn't about to go making a special case of this visit and have to go dress herself up even more.

Apparently the drudge had run by Thanekar first. Emerene found him coming from the barracks where he'd apparently changed clothes for the occasion. Her eyes swept him up and down, taking in the finer dress than he usually wore. "This must be important if they asked you to dress up."

Emerene wasn't sure why their mother would care to request both their presences unless it had something to do with candidacy. She didn't see any of their other siblings or half siblings about, so that must be the case. She also did not see anyone else yet who seemed to be on their way to visit the Weyrwoman. Beginning to speculate, Emerene wondered if their mother was going to be helping them somehow, as they were approaching their time to stand on the sands. Maybe she had previously withheld some secret wisdom on how Thane could impress a Bronze and she could impress a Gold? Wouldn't that be brilliant! Emerene couldn't help but feel as though she would be shamed if she didn't impress a Gold and become a weyrwoman like her mother.

Though Emerene had her reasons to feel resentful toward Karene, she also knew that she couldn't exactly blame Karene for not having more time to spend with her children. Then again, if she knew that was going to be the case, couldn't Karene have avoided having children altogether? Between had kept many riders from becoming pregnant and it was usual for such a thing to happen amoungst female riders. Why was Karene any different? Why had she borne so many children if not by choice and knowing that she wouldn't have time to raise them herself?

Fostering children though, was just as common in the weyr, and so she nor Thane could feel alone in that. The Weyr itself became their family so to speak, and all of the children of the Weyr became their siblings. The Weyr was so communal, it shouldn't feel as though she'd ever been neglected, but somehow it did. Just the knowledge that her 'real' mother had better things to do, and the fact that her father had purposely, of all other people in the weyr, chosen to ignore her existence, made Emerene feel at an emotional loss.

Then again.. birth parents would always hold some connection to their children whether they wanted to or not. Somehow, parents would in some sense always be parents, even if they didn't act like it. Sometimes, that caused Emerene to feel as though she never wanted to have children. If she was going to be a weyrwoman one day, she didn't want to have to push her own baby away and make them feel like she did.

In any case, Karene of the two of them, hadn't completely lost sight of her offspring. She had time and time again taken opportunities to ensure their welbeing and make sure they were given proper opportunities themselves, to advance and be well educated. Was this another one of those times? It must be. It was unlikely the Weyrwoman would call her children for much of any other reason.

Together with Thane, Emerene walked to the Weyrwoman's office, letting him enter first. Her dusky blue eyes instantly were on their mother, looking for clues as to what their meeting might be about.
Back to top Go down
https://rainoffire.rpg-board.net
Caoimhe

Caoimhe

PostSubject: Re: Children Will Listen (Tags: Emerene)   Children Will Listen (Tags: Emerene) I_icon32Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:01 am

Thanekar grimaced at the remark and rolled his eyes. Who was she to have anopinion about what he was wearing. She dressed nice all the time so as to attract any and all attention she could. If she wanted the reputation of being easier than a green before a flight, then she certainly had what she wanted by now. "Well, sister, everyone should look their best when meeting with the Senior Weyrwoman of Fort. Doesn't matter what the occasion might be." Besides, what he knew of his mother was, he never really could anticipate her reason for doing things.

Entering his mother's weyr, he felt a bit uneasy, unsure of what he should espect. He had heard his mother was unwell. He was not expecting her to look so, so...glowy? There were rumors she was ill, on bed rest certainly but ill. She looked the very picture of health to him. Not that he was sure what a pregnant woman who was unwell should look like. He never had any desire or inclination for healing and spent as much time away from the infirmary as possible. Before he could come up with a proper greeting, having wasted a moment taking in his mother's appearance, she stood out of her chair and greeted them.

Karene loved each of her children more than they could possibly know from her absence in their lives. She wanted the best for them, she wanted them to be happy and content. Time and again she had tried to find out if they were happy from other sources. Their foster families thought that they were anyway. Smiling, she invited them both to sit and join her. "Emerene, Thanekar I do apologize for taking you out of class. I assure you it will not hinder your progress as Candidates. Please make yourselves comfortable, I have something I wanted to discuss with you both."

There was a time when they were smaller and didn't seem to notice the neglect as much where she may have extended her arms to hug them. Karene was afraid to do such a thing now. They would likely not reciprocate now. Even if she had done the best thing for them, they would not understand not for a long while. Instead she sat back in her chair with the grace and poise one would expect of an aristocrat.

"I've had a meeting like this with you both before, just as you were old enough to join a craft. As you have both declined joining a craft or returning to my family at Southern Boll Hold. So I do have a question for you both. I want you to consider what I say carefully. I will not have you making decisions based on what I or your father's might think nor on how your friends might think. This is your life, no one else can live it for you."

She paused for a moment. " I want you to imagine feeling happy, the happiest and most content you could ever be. Now tell me why and what causes these feelings as you envision this for yourself."
Back to top Go down
Eloaene

Eloaene

PostSubject: Re: Children Will Listen (Tags: Emerene)   Children Will Listen (Tags: Emerene) I_icon32Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:15 pm

Rolling her eyes discreetly at Thanekar's comeback, Emerene exhaled with a little exasperation, as if in sigh. Did being Karene's own offspring not count for something? Other kids didn't have to dress up to see their birth parents. And they certainly didn't have to dress up to see their foster parents.

Anyway, she'd just have to deal with it. When they entered the leadership office, Emerene moved when her brother did, to take a seat before the Weyrwoman's desk in one of the cushioned chairs there.

Karene's apology for pulling them out of class didn't bring any response for Emerene, but she wasn't looking at all unhappy about the fact they'd been pulled to meet with their mother. Shouldn't they appreciate these moments they had with her? In any case, .. Emerene had to admit she would rather spend time here than in class, and she had to at least appreciate the effort to see them. At least for today, said her 16 year old sensibilities.

The girl listened to their mother patiently, seeming to be considerate of the words she spoke. Well, of course she didn't want to go to Southern Boll or join a trade. She might look forward to being the focus of all attention for a while, but any kind of holder's life or life in a trade seemed miserable to her. Admittedly, she must be a lot like her mother in sharing that sentiment.

Looking over at her brother first, Emerene took the chance to jump in with her response to Karene's questions first. After all, this was the first time Karene had asked them what their heart's desire was, and Emerene expected that Karene truly did have an inkling of concern for them in that regard because they were her children, though she wasn't certain how far she expected their mother to be able to help them reach their goals. Maybe she was being selfish expecting any help at all? But right now, that didn't matter. A Weyrwoman was asking, and not just any Weyr woman, but the Senior, and her own mother. So, she would answer. And she wasn't about to beat around the bush about it. Was this trait yet something else she and Karene held in common?

"I will Impress a Gold; like you. I want to be a Weyrwoman, too." Spoken with a heart of determination and honest truth, Emerene had met her mother's eyes in that time, wondering how she would respond to knowing that her daughter yearned to be more like her than anything... even if Emerene didn't see things that way. Emerene just saw independence before her, and the chance to set herself apart from her mother's image in the mind of others by achieving great things on her own. Impression to a Queen was the only way she could envision in her mind how to get there. But.. she couldn't conceive of ever telling her mother that. So, for the time, she stopped there, leaving her answer at that.
Back to top Go down
Caoimhe

Caoimhe

PostSubject: Re: Children Will Listen (Tags: Emerene)   Children Will Listen (Tags: Emerene) I_icon32Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:47 pm

Thanekar wanted to roll his eyes at his sister's answer. Brown noser. He supported family for the most part despite his thoughts on Emerene and as such, he did nothing to hinder her standing with their mother. Although he thought it was pretty crummy to be all "I want to be like my mother" while at the same time loathe and despise her. Maybe Emerene didn't like herself either. Why were girls complicated?

He thought about his mother's question, taking a pause, closing his eyes. Thane hadn't really thought about it. Not really. His mother was Senior Weyrwoman of Fort, his father was a Bronzerider. It would make perfect sense for him to be a dragonrider but he wasn't sure he was as picky as his sister. Then again, leading came naturally to him. His peers looked to him to start things, to stir the pot. While most of the things he was involved in led to trouble, he was still leading them. He didn't mind the pressure most of the time.

"I want to be a Dragonrider. I want to defend Pern. I want to maybe lead a Wing someday." He said thinking about it. "But I don't want to forgo having fun because of it. I'd like to have fun and be a leader." Was that even possible. He never saw his mother having fun but as he spoke about having fun she smiled. He knew he had said the right thing, he had been honest and she understood him. Thane might not be close with his mother but she did know him better than he had realized. She must pay closer attention to them than they realized. It was almost off-putting really. Did she wonder about them? He had to think she did. He had to think she cared about them enough to keep tabs on them, to know who they hung out with, what thye were involved in.

Karene having listened to both children smiled. "I suppose I shouldn't be surprised." Her eyes rested on one then the other, she moved her hand to her growing belly. It was hard for her not to pace, caged as she was in her weyr.  "I was hoping you would want lives that were freer, less demanding. It seems though you are both just a little ambitious. That said I think if you want the good that comes with leadership you should experience a taste of the negatives. So from this day on, Emerene you will assist the Headwoman and Goldrider Belisse whenever your chores and classes are not in session."

She looked at her daughter in the eyes, as ever, the icy blue of them would be hard to look past,  "If you truly want to be a Goldrider you must learn how to run a Weyr properly, how much time goes into it, how very little free time you will have. After you have completed enough candlemarks of this, I will determine whether you should stand."

She turned to Thanekar, "I'll have a word with K'thane, there might be some things you can do that will make dragonriding and leadership seem a bit less glamorous. And drag that friend of yours Jadrek with you. He could use some toughening up I think. Like your sister, the time you spend learning what dragonriding is, the hard work, the need for persistence and perfection in all that you do, will show me whether you should be a Candidate or not."

Karene stood up, "I want you both to know, to understand that even if you chose a very simple and non-ambitious life, I would love you. And I will always be proud to call you my children." Which was more than she could say for her own family. To them she was ruined and horrible. She had gone to the Weyr and become illegitimate.
Back to top Go down
Eloaene

Eloaene

PostSubject: Re: Children Will Listen (Tags: Emerene)   Children Will Listen (Tags: Emerene) I_icon32Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:38 am

Hearing their mother's answer, Emerene's jaw almost dropped. Not for shock in displeasure, though definitely in shock, but she was somewhat pleased at the prospect of being able to take up the new duties. She rather looked forward to the opportunity to learn how to take on such important responsibilities. Finally, she could begin to be recognized for her own abilities, and not have to fully live under the shadow of her mother. Though it wasn't much yet, it was a start...

The more those thought sat at the forefront of her mind, the more pleased Emerene was by Karene's new job for her. It didn't matter that she would have less free time. She didn't need free time if it allowed her to play a more important role in the Weyr. A clutch would be laid soon and when it was her time to stand, she wanted to be there, prepared for the Gold who would be born. She would prove to her mother and everyone else that she was worthy of it. And this was her chance to rise to that occasion. She wouldn't let anything mess it up for her.

Emerene's expression of surprise transformed into one that couldn't be happier. Her eyes, too, shined brightly with the smile, and she looked over at Thane to witness his expression. She could imagine that Thane and Jadrek would be be excited for the chance as well!

Hmm, not to mention, if Thane and Jadrek were in the presence of any mature, handsome riders, she may as well start intentionally running by them every so often, so that she could make sure they knew who she was. No opportunity to flirt with such good looking men should be passed up. She wondered then, if any of her assistance to the Headwoman or the Jr. Weyr Woman would give her such ample opportunity to spend more time with mature riders.

While those thoughts all teased her, she looked back at Karene then, "I can't wait! I'll go to the Headwoman tomorrow as soon as I'm done with everything else." Her mother would see... Emerene was cut out for it.
Back to top Go down
Caoimhe

Caoimhe

PostSubject: Re: Children Will Listen (Tags: Emerene)   Children Will Listen (Tags: Emerene) I_icon32Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:48 pm

Pondering the women, his mother's words, his sister's reactions; he got the distinct feeling that he was the only person in the room who was not blinded by ambition. He had to wonder at his mother's level of manipulation. Was she born that way or did she grow up in a world so very different from his own. Of course his sister did not care that their mother was using this not only as a way to gauge what they were capable of but also as a way of keeping them out of trouble. Now his dear sister would have very little time to spend flirting with all the boys she could find and he would not have the time to deal in pranks with the Brats. He remained quiet after his sister had spoken, his own thoughts creating a delay in his own response.

Thanekar took a moment thinking of his won way to show his gratitude. Gratitude for what exactly? For taking away his free time? For making him grow up faster? For dragging one of his closest friends into this with him? Maybe she thought he would be amused by taking on the chores of a Weyrling without Impressing a dragon. Dragons didn't care if he knew what he was doing or not. He would do just as well to Stand without all this extra guidance.

"Soooo just how much time do I need to put into this for you to allow me to Stand?" He asked, a roguish smile played on his young features.

Karene was glad that her daughter seemed happy about what she had said. It was very rare to be the cause of her children's happiness, despite many efforts she made on their behalf. "Good. I will inform the Headwoman that she should be expecting you. I warn you though, its not as glamorous a job as it may seem. It may at times seem redundant, boring and even a waste of time but I can assure you everything you will be asked to do will have some bearing on becoming a Queenrider and what is expected of them."

A wry smile was brought to her lips as her gaze fell on her son. "There is no set number to measure whether you are ready or not, Thanekar. If you would rather I didn't contact your father on the issue, I won't. "  
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Children Will Listen (Tags: Emerene)   Children Will Listen (Tags: Emerene) I_icon32

Back to top Go down

Children Will Listen (Tags: Emerene)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Weyrs :: Fort Weyr :: Personal Weyrs-
Jump to: