Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

... now they must watch their abundance of luxuries fall away, making room for the tools of survival, and witness this time of relative peace wither into the same fears that harper's ballads had warned them about for generations.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A little help (Tags within)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Caoimhe

Caoimhe

A little help (Tags within) Empty
PostSubject: A little help (Tags within)   A little help (Tags within) I_icon32Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:58 pm

A little help (Tags within) Kareneheader3_zpse5726ffe

The combined reports from the new Headwoman at Igen Weyr and the reports from Telgar and Igen Holds, but more importantly Southern Telgar Hold had brought light to an issue which she wished she had the energy to deal with herself. Usually her pregnancies left her more energized and more amiable in general but she was not feeling well at all this time. Since being placed on bed rest, she realized how easily fatigued she was becoming. This was not as easy now as it had been previously and she had to act accordingly for her own health and for the good of the Weyr. If she died without a true successor there would be serious problems for Fort Weyr to face. While she had done her best to hush any rumors of her condition being any more serious than simple fatigue, she wasn't so certain herself it wasn't serious.

The reports needed to be dealt with so she had drawn up a letter, to be hand carried by one of the Bronzeriders, someone who was born into a diplomatic and political lifestyle. He would have to be trusted to carry out what she asked and he would not be going alone.

I thought bed rest meant you should be resting...
A little moving around is good for me. Besides, I promise to rest once all of this is off my mind.
All of this meaning Igen Weyr?
Something is not right there. I intend to find out...

Ramirath, Cymrioth, Zemarith, Nicath, Sionnath and Raidenth, your riders are to report to the Weyrleader's office in one candlemark.

Thank you dearest.
As long as you are insisting on running the Weyr from your office and our weyr then I suppose I can be your messenger from time to time. I think you would be better off if you clutched your eggs before they were ready to hatch. There would be so much less of his bed rest.
I'm sure it would be the preferred method but seeing as I'm not capable of doing that, we'll have to work with what we have.

She stopped pacing around her weyr like a caged lion and went to inform one of her two personal drudges that the office needed to be prepared, in the meantime, she washed herself well and put on one of her maternity outfits. She had was growing a bit large in the abdomen. color=#FFB538]Only three more months...[/color]
Thank Faranth's first egg for that.
When are you going to name one after me?
When one of yours names itself after me.

Grumbling, the Queen went farther out on her ledge to bask in the sun.

Karene walked to the office to make sure all was prepared about fifteen minutes before everyone would be arriving. She had been given a more comfortable seat at the head of the table. Sitting, she waited for the selected riders to arrive.(about as patiently as JQ waiting for a post.)

((OOC: TAGS: N'kyr, S'jiro, Sh'nar, S'dric, Tasha and Lance))

A little help (Tags within) LanceHeader_zpsd12ab18c

Are you going like that?

“I was… why?”

Well… it is a meeting with the Senior Weyrwoman… Raidenth hinted, feeling a little annoyed at her rider for not considering what she might wear in the presence of the leader of the Weyr.

“I don’t think its that big of a deal but I will, for your sake, clean my leathers a little before I go and make sure my hair is out of my face.”

Only cause you don’t want her to make you cut it off.

While having her hair cut would expedite her bathing, it would also look horrible, something she might be able to deal with but what Raidenth would find most unappealing.

Lancelle did make sure she cleaned up a bit before she made her way to the Weyrleader’s Office. Please don’t let me be the first one there…She thought to herself. The last thing she wanted was alone time with their pregnant and probably moody leader. Especially if this meeting was as important as it sounded. Surely one of the Bronzeriders would arrive before her. That might not be any better, depending on who arrived there before her.

She could only imagine what the meeting might be about. Lancelle had a feeling this was not going to be a good meeting for her. Why her? Was the question rattling about her brain. What could she possibly have to offer the Weyr no one else could supply? While she continued her trail of questions mentally, she grew closer to the Office.

Sh’nar passed her on the way.  Following him into the Office, she realized they were both a good ten minutes early. Better to be early than to be late. She took a seat further down the table from the Weyrwoman after formally greeting her.

A little help (Tags within) Shnarheader

You have been summoned. Senior Weyrwoman Karene will see you in her office in a candlemark.
“Why do I detect that you are not happy?”
We were not the only ones called. The Bronze was practically pouting. He wanted to be special. Why was it none of the Gold dragons saw how wonderful he was? To the Bronze the situation was ridiculous. His rider should not be called to a meeting with a pair of silly female greenriders. The other Bronzeriders and even the brown he could tolerate. Why should his be in an important meeting where tasks were entrusted to female greenriders. He didn’t like it one tiny bit.

Sh’nar had only recently taken a bath but he made sure his leathers were in perfect condition. Nothing wrong with trying to impress the Senior Weyrwoman. Even with her reputation, he figured there might be a way to get her to trust him.  Although, as Cymrioth had pointed out. He would not be alone in the meeting. Deciding it was better not to ask his dragon who else would be there, seeing as the mood it had now put him in was depressing.

“I’ll be off. Try not to get into trouble..” The dragon ignored him and flew off toward the lake, probably to flirt with a green or a particular Gold if she was around… since he was supposed to focus his attentions on her when he had the time. Still, greens could be such amiable company.

You know, your being a complete ass. Either greens are good company or they are not.

Greens are good for flirting and chasing. Otherwise they are flighty, not very bright and shouldn’t be sticking their noses into Bronzerider business.

Sh’nar answered with a chuckle. His dragon did have a point there. Why would greens be in a meeting with him and the Weyrwoman. Unless perhaps they might be joining his Wing at Igen, then maybe he was there to assure them he would make the transition as easy as possible. Being Wingsecond, he would be just as responsible for the wing’s welfare as the Wingleader. Especially as they would be moving to a new Weyr on top of having new wings to get used to.

Hmmm, yes, that must be what was going on. The tall man passed Lancelle not giving it a second thought. However, she seemed to slow her pace a bit.

As he entered the Weyrleader’s Office, he bowed and greeted the Weyrwoman. He ignored Lancelle when she walked in a good 30 seconds after he had. While he took a seat on the right hand side, in the chair closest to the Weyrwoman, he noted Lancelle sat on the opposite side about 3 chairs away from the Weyrwoman. He also noted her greeting could use some work. Pfft. Greenriders.
Back to top Go down
Eloaene

Eloaene

PostSubject: Re: A little help (Tags within)   A little help (Tags within) I_icon32Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:52 pm

A little help (Tags within) A5ab2fe1-d9a8-40eb-bc86-d162ef45e4e0_zpsfaf697be

Arriving soon after Lancielle, S'jiro was next to enter the Weyrleader’s office. S'jiro didn't care about being the first to arrive, but at least he wasn't the last. Maybe that spoke of his apparent 'lazy' tendencies, just as did the fact that he kept his hands tucked into his pockets with an attitude that matched his casual saunter.

Greeting Sh'nar with an outward jut of his chin as he went to stand by his friend. "Yo."

Letting his eyes wander, first making sure recognize the Weyrwoman who’d been awaiting their arrival so patiently ( ;P), S'jiro noted Lance's presence next. Grimacing inwardly, he wondered why a barely graduated Weyrling would be asked to attend a meeting that Bronzeriders had been requested for as well. There was nothing that a Green could accomplish that a Bronzerider like himself or Sh’nar couldn’t do even better. Surely, asking her to attend was completely unnecessary.

A Greenrider? S'jiro hardly stiffled the mental, derisive scoff expressed to Zemarath before turning attention away from Lance, deciding not to make the less appreciable facets of the meeting his focus.

The Bronze needn't say much in return, more curious about the purpose for the meeting; as far as S'jiro's thoughts on 'commoners', he already knew the full of it, and there was no way of making the Bronzerider any more affable toward them.

While S'jiro waited alongside Sh'nar, he rocked back and forth a couple of times onto his heels idly, hands still dug into his pockets. Why had they all been called here, anyway? Even if everyone wasn’t here yet, there was an interesting representation of Riders present. Considering that, he began to wonder if it had to do with the transfer to Igen Weyr. Maybe they were transferring sooner than anticipated?

Keeping all thoughts and outward expression to himself, S’jiro waited patiently for anyone else to arrive so that the Weyrwoman could bring to their attention just what this meeting was about.

A little help (Tags within) KimHyungJungEdit

Hurrying at a jog to make it to the meeting on time, S'dric was just glad to have a properly functioning riding harness. Coming from a wing practice earlier in the day, he'd found a weakness in the leather and spent the rest of his time up until now, seeing that the straps were replaced, and that nothing else in his riding gear was getting too noticably worn. Of course he routinely checked all of his gear, and made certain that riders in his wing also properly followed such routine examinations of their own gear, but one could never be too careful. There was always at least one rider who tended to want to procrastinate when it came to precautionary measures.

Not out of breath, but still breathing a little heavy considering the jog he'd just taken to get there, S'dric offered a coy smie as he entered the Weyrleadership office, nodding in greeting to Karene simultaneously. "Sorry to be almost late."
As if it mattered, since he was still there on time.

In any case, the Brownrider gravitated toward his cousin, whom he promptly greeted as well, smile broadening. "How are you?" It was not really a conversation starter, because they were here to hear what the Weyrwoman had to say, but out of courtesy, he wanted to ask. His attention though, did not linger for long on his cousin's face, only taking time to read her mood.

In all truth, S'dric had no real clue as to what the meeting might be about -he was as curious as everyone else, especially seeing such a mix of ranks and experience amoungst those gathered. Whatever the case, they would find out shortly. His eyes returned to seek out Karene, showing obvious curiosity behind them.
Back to top Go down
https://rainoffire.rpg-board.net
Caoimhe

Caoimhe

PostSubject: Re: A little help (Tags within)   A little help (Tags within) I_icon32Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:02 pm

A little help (Tags within) Karene4

Once all six of the riders whom she had requested to attend the meeting had gathered, she stood up, albeit more slowly than usual.  She could tell by body language if not by the way they all greeted eachother they were not going to get along easily. This mission would require them all to work with people they would otherwise avoid.  Wings hierarchy be cursed, she thought, she would much rather have a group of riders of varying skill sets who could work together than be concerned over who got along with who. She needed the people who had gathered, whether the reasons were clear to those who were in the meeting or not.

"Thank you all for your punctuality. I am going to proceed. As you can see there are six of you and each one of you has a part to play in the mission I am sending you on."  As if to single out S'jiro and Sh'nar directly her eyes rested on them.  Rumor was enough for her to determine they had a serious problem with greenriders.  "I have been in contact with Lord Holder Matoi of Telgar Hold, he has collaborated with me in determining that supplies are not reaching Igen Weyr as they should be and are likely dissappearing somewhere in Southern Telgar along the well known trade routes.

From what Lord Holder Matoi has felt like telling me, there are some people in his Hold who do not support the new Weyr and would see its further development stopped."  He had not gone into detail in his letter, or named a specific group of people but Karene would never be accused of being less knowledgeable than a Holder. She knew of the Rebels and she was aware of their hate for more tithing which translated to a hate for Igen's rebuild.

"There are three separate things you will need to do. The first, meet with Lord Holder Matoi and discuss which trade routes are most affected. Second, you are to accompany one of the Trade caravans to the Weyr. The last thing and potentially the most difficult. We need to discern whether there are conspirators with these attackers in Igen Weyr itself.

"N'kyr, S'jiro, I want the two of you to take the lead while meeting with Lord Holder Matoi. You understand the correct etiquette when dealing with Holders." That ought to please the two of them. Sh'nar was no doubt less than pleased his name had not been mentioned but she had another, more difficult task for the schmoozer. Of course she would save his involvement for last.

"Tashamoretta, Lancelle, you are going to take the lead with the second part of this task. I've been reminded that you are from a Trading family, Tashamoretta. This will serve you well in this task. I've paired you with Lancelle because she is one of the best fighters and understands where an attack might come from and how best to defend." Strategy. Besides she saw the two of them working in the lead well together. They had all their Weyrling training to learn about eachother. They would still have to get the male riders to listen and do what they suggested.

"Which leaves Sh'nar and S'dric to lead in the third part. I'm counting on your natures to garner the trust of some of the staff at the new Weyr. You may have to delve deeply into the cliques of people there." It was obvious really why they would be the better choices. Sh'nar had been a harper and he was also a very attractive young man. Attributes he could use to his advantage. S'dric was sensitive and patient, he wouldn't rush to a conclusion without deep thought. He would also trust his instincts.

"Now I will hear any questions or concerns you may have in your new mission."  She sat down again, waiting to see who might speak up first. Karene would be surprised if this group remained quiet without questions to ask. It seemed to her they were just the people to be asking questions about the mission and their parts in it.
Back to top Go down
Eloaene

Eloaene

PostSubject: Re: A little help (Tags within)   A little help (Tags within) I_icon32Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:08 pm

S'dric took on an expression of thought, wondering how serious the situation must be if they suspected there were people at Igen who were not loyal to the Weyrs; who would rather be without them or not have to support another. He understood that there were portions of the population in any holding territory that could feel resentful of Dragonriders for being supported by tithes from Holds who worked hard for those things but regardless...was their dislike of the Weyrs so great they would go to such terribly drastic measures?

The Brownrider glanced over at his new partner, Sh'nar, then, considering the task ahead of them. It would definitely be an interesting one.

Subconsciously glad that the Greenriders were being reminded their place, that he and N'kyr were both well-bred enough to interact directly with the Lord Holder, S'jiro thought that he would enjoy the opportunity to that the chance to do so allowed. They would make a fine example of Fort Weyr riders and continue to prove that he would be prepared for further opportunities that awaited him when they came to the time when they would be transferring to Igen Wyer.

Momentarily, S'jiro was confirming, "So the four of us will attend Telgar Hold first, to be briefed further by Lord Matoi himself? Following that, accompany the caravan to Igen Weyr where we'll meet back up with S'dric and Sh'nar?"

The young Bronzerider glanced back over to Sh'nar but then looking over each of the four who would be attending the Hold first. Finally his eyes came to rest on N'kyr, gauging the other rider's mood about the assignment briefly before he set his eyes back on the Weyrwoman.

After came her reply, the Bronzerider saluted properly, acknowledging her order.

[backpost to fill in for additional things here if need be before they take off]

The teams regrouped outside in the Weyr bowl after being dismissed, so that they could quickly prepare and then depart for the location of their given assignments. Lord Matoi and Igen Weyr were waiting.

S'dric took off beside Sh'nar , taking up his flank while S'jiro and N'kyr rode toward the head of the wing of Four which were formed by the remaining riders. Coordinates were shared and both Flights went Between.
Back to top Go down
https://rainoffire.rpg-board.net
sylverangel

sylverangel

PostSubject: Re: A little help (Tags within)   A little help (Tags within) I_icon32Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:36 am

Tashamoretta had resisted the urge to make a face as she realized S'jiro and Sh'nar were also present-- but barely.  She had grinned a little bit at S'dric's timing, though, and had blown him a kiss.  He was too fun to tease when she could get away with it.  Even if it wasn't necessarily the most appropriate time or place.

For solidarity's sake, she'd seated herself next to Lancelle, deliberately aiming for 'totally unaffected' by the presence of the bronzeriders in her posture.  Because, really, she couldn't care less that they were there, or that they'd tried ridiculous means of trying to get to her classmate.  Clearly, the color of a dragon didn't necessarily indicate the level of maturity of the rider.  Tasha just hoped Karene realized that, even as she wondered what the Weyrwoman could possibly want with the six riders she'd summoned.

Three bronzes, two greens, and a brown.  A ragtag group, to be sure, and not all from the same class.  So Karene's assignment would be anyone's guess.  Tasha did hope, though, that she and Lance wouldn't necessarily have to work directly with S'jiro and/ or Sh'nar alone.  N'kyr, though she didn't know him well, at least wouldn't be mocking the two greenriders like his counterparts had done in the past.

Said bronzerider had arrived just slightly early, as Lancelle and Sh'nar had done.  Proprieties had to be observed, and this was the Weyrwoman calling, after all-- no matter that he didn't always agree with her methods of leadership.  She had hand-picked him to go to Igen, though, had seen his potential, she said, and he couldn't fault her for that, at least.

Given the riders present, N'kyr was guessing this particular meeting involved the transfer to the new Weyr, though he did have to wonder why there were so few people in attendance.  He hid his irritation at the thought that perhaps Karene had also 'hand-picked' Sh'nar and S'jiro-- she had said he wasn't the only one after all.  But he personally thought he was a far better potential leader than either of the other bronzeriders, and if Karene was judging the three of them equally...  Then again, given the numbers, it was possible she was assembling a small wing of sorts, which would still need a 'leader and 'seconds, even with so few others to work with.  Someone had to be in charge and make decisions, if there was some task for them to accomplish, right?  And it only made sense to choose him, if for nothing other than the other two young men were friends, and it might be difficult to give one a higher position than the other.

Or so N'kyr thought.  Whether Karene agreed remained to be seen.

Whatever could usually be said of Tasha's ability to focus and take things seriously, the young greenrider certainly perked up at the thought of supply trains not reaching their intended destination.  Being from a trader family, she well understood just what natural phenomena could slow or divert a caravan, but it was quite unusual for the train to not eventually find a new route or send word via messenger of the reason for the delay.  Her own family's caravan had been slightly different, in that they tended to keep their own schedule due to the nature of their trade, but what Karene was talking about was a regular supply train not reaching the Weyr.

Had word not been sent ahead?  Was it only one train, that could possibly have fallen to some completely natural disaster like an avalanche or flood?  Or were there more?  How long ago had the supplies gone missing?

Her first thoughts, of course, were for the people possibly affected.  Were they all right?  Had they been found?  Did they need help digging their way past a blockage in the road?

Opening her mouth to interrupt the Weyrwoman right then, when she'd barely begun to describe the situation, Tasha stopped herself at the mention of raiders.  Surprised and a little angered that someone would dare take supplies bound for a Weyr, from a train traveling on prominent roads, the young greenrider had to wonder how it was possible.  Surely the dragonrider scouts who should have passed over the area would have noticed something?  Of course, they weren't flying over all the time, but still, many of the trade routes wove through mountain passes with only one possible entrance and exit-- weren't they trained to watch such spaces just for the event of natural disaster?

And just how had a supply train been left without the protection necessary to keep it safe?  Word of caravan raids had only been increasing over the past few turns; surely Telgar's Lord knew this and wouldn't have left his people unguarded?  It was the reason trader families rarely traveled alone-- there was safety in numbers, as well as the draw of a greater variety of goods for potential customers.  Surely the attacks hadn't been accomplished by a group large enough to overpower the entire caravan?

Itching to ask for more detail, the young greenrider rather impatiently waited for the Weyrwoman to finish describing her plan.

N'kyr frowned faintly as he listened to the Weyrwoman's report.  Of course, he knew there were Holders who opposed tithing to the Weyrs, as well as those who gave just the minimum, but he hadn't heard of entire supply trains going missing after they'd been sent.  At least not without some explanation like the weather.  Being more suspicious in nature, he thought it possible the Lord of Telgar hadn't sent the supplies in the first place, but he'd never heard rumors of such a thing happening before.  Times changed as did situations, but if that were the case, from what he knew of Lord Matoi, he'd be honorable enough to let the Weyrs know if it were a problem for him to tithe his usual amount, or provide any extra he was possibly sending to Igen.

Of course, the young bronzerider doubted that was the case, given how lavish the Holder's son's wedding several months back had been.

However, just because the man himself wasn't known for deliberately witholding supplies didn't mean his staff was entirely competent or trustworthy.  As was probably evidenced by the fact that raiders more than likely from his own Hold were responsible for the loss of the supplies, from what the Weyrwoman was telling them.  Whichever the case, if he was looking for help from the Weyr, Lord Matoi was clearly not in control of the situation.  Surely his own guard should have been able to track down the raiders and stop such an event from happening again?  Unless they were involved themselves, which would also reflect poorly on the Telgar Holder's judgement as to who he kept in his employ.

Perhaps they'd need the opportunity to question the Lord's staff when they visited, since Karene was apparently sending him with one of the other bronzeriders.  Whose abilities as an envoy were questionable, as far as N'kyr were concerned.  He didn't know S'jiro that well (not that he really could say he knew anyone well) though he thought he was remembering correctly that the other young man was the son of a minor holder.  And that being the case, he, N'kyr, should clearly take the lead in the situation.  He didn't really need help, did he?

When Karene finally finished speaking, Tasha quickly threw up a hand, waiting for just the slightest catch of the Weyrwoman's gaze before she rattled off the questions still plaguing her.  "So they know it was definitely raiders?  And the people involved are okay, they just lost supplies?"

That she and Lance could handle keeping a watch on a caravan was a given.  They might have their differences, but the greenrider knew her classmate was one of the best choices for the job.
Back to top Go down
Caoimhe

Caoimhe

PostSubject: Re: A little help (Tags within)   A little help (Tags within) I_icon32Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:56 pm

"Lord Matoi has conveyed the information to me. The accuracy of his account may need further investigation. Whoever is attacking these caravans is a threat. More than one Caravan has been lost. Not all of the people are alright, in fact some are dead, some are missing still, along with the goods. I cannot impress upon you enough the importance of your mission. Lives will be on the line."

Karene was not going to sugar coat this for any of them. And the threat was far more organized than she was willing to admit to herself. Even as she sent these younger people into the fray, she knew this was more than theives. There was a purpose behind the attacks, something bigger than any of them were yet aware of. Whatever this something bigger was, she hoped her own riders would be able to figure out what it was and report back to her. After answering Tasha's questions, she sent them on their way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Immediately Lancelle followed N'kyr and S'jiro out of the room, knowing Tasha would be with her. Lance was not convinced that N'kyr would be any more mature than S'jiro was when dealing with people whom he could see as lesser. As long as Tasha was there it wouldn't be too terrible. After going to her weyr to harness Raidenth, she met the others in the Weyrbowl. Taking off behind the Bronzeriders for Telgar Hold. As usual she did not take off before going over the image and geography with Raidenth. She wouldn't leave anything up to chance.

When they landed safely at Telgar Hold, Lancelle remained where she was, waiting for the Bronzeriders to lead the way, which she was sure would please them. There was no pleasure whatsoever in following S'jiro or N'kyr, however orders were orders. She would gladly do whatever Weyrwoman Karene asked of her and at least she would not suffer alone. I guess its a good thing I combed my hair.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sh'nar didn't really mind working with brownriders. He would need their support if he had a Wing someday. This might prove to be a good mission for him. He could show that he didn't need another Bronzerider, that he could work with those lesser than him without issue. He did not have to have the more glamorous mission. He was going to investigate Igen Weyr itself. He had every confidence that S'dric would prove to be a capable and resourceful partner. The blonde man was glad however he did not have to work directly with Lancelle or Tashamoretta.

When they reconvened in the Weyr Bowl, Sh'nar took a moment to go over coordinates with S'dric before vaulting onto his Bronze's back and heading Between. Arriving at Igen's Bowl felt little different than Forts other than the lack of dragons and smaller amounts of activity. The Weyr Bowl was a dust bowl, quite literally. As Sh'nar dismounted from his Bronze, her sent Cymrioth to one of the higher ledges to keep an eye on things in the distance.

"S'dric, I think our first stop would be to talk to some of the people in charge. I don't think a Headwoman has been established but I think there must be someone controlling inventory. We find out who that person is and have a look at what has come in to Igen adn when the supplies began to taper off. From there we can ask questions of the staff who come in contact with the supplies most often. We may need to keep an eye out to make sure one person in particular isn't watching all of our actions. Do you have any further ideas?"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A little help (Tags within)   A little help (Tags within) I_icon32

Back to top Go down

A little help (Tags within)
Page 1 of 1